_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Constructing Diorama Building and Cobblestone Street
Colonel
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:24 PM UTC
Hi All,

I am planning to build a WWII European street diorama for my Tamiya Tiger I. Appreciate if anyone could provide some tips and techniques on how to construct buildings from scratch eg. plaster and streets eg. cobblestone

Txs.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 10:41 PM UTC
While I'm not much into building dios, I was able to find a site with tips and techniques on how to just follow the links on the pages:

linkname http://fp.docdio.f9.co.uk/page/homepage.htm

I hope this helps a bit.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:10 AM UTC
Foam core board and foam putty is how built my building in my Samolia diorama. Cheap and easy. Check it out her in this web page.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:23 AM UTC
Also check out Keith Magees articles in the Features: Dioramas area. He has a great article on building a plaster structure.

All-in-all you will probably find it much easier and less of a detailing nightmare to start with a pre-cast plaster building. See the Verlinden link which pops up above for examples of these. You can't really beat $15 for a well-detailed partial ruined building. Sheperd Paine once remarked that building a ruined building from sratched turned into a much bigger proposition than he had originally thought. Once you factor in all the stuff that goes into a building. Personally I think a lot of the ruined building dios are rather unrealistic. One; there is ussually several yards of debris in many shots you see of WWII period street ruins, where as most dioramas only sprinkle a foot or two. Two; many of these building burned down after being bombed. So in reality there wouldn't be a whole lot of interior items to even detail.

Jim
Colonel
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, guys.

This would be my first diorama with structures and pavement so I am trying to collect as much info as possible.
 _GOTOTOP