Korean Shermans
basiltank
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any other shermans used in korea onther than the E8's and if they used any other tracks than t-80s. I was looking at Trumpeter's m4a3e8 Korean but some of the reviews weren't that good. I was wondering if it would be possible to modify Dragons version but looking at it, but it has the wrong kind of tracks, and who knows what other details missing. (and looking for AM tracks turned up nothing, nobody makes the right tracks in 1/72 scale.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hi Daniel

Apart from the M4A3E8 there was also the flamethrower version, the M4A3/105 HVSS and the Canucks used an M4A3/76 VVSS with dozer blade in Korea. To my knowledge that's about it. There were of course the M7 and M36 but I assume you mean tanks.

How about joining the Korean War Campaign with this one?

Cheers!
Stefan
basiltank
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
Love to join, and the funny thing is that I want to start this for a club build. We're doing a Korean build right now too. 2 birds with 1 stone. Would love to find canadian sherman decals for 72nd but the only manufacturer seems to have gone under a while back.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
There is a possibility that American Forces used a few re-gunned M4A3 (W) VVSS. The Tokyo Depot had a bunch of these on-hand and modified them with 76 mm guns in the standard 75mm turret (late, high bustle, with cupola and loader's hatch.) Probably the best example in 1/35th would be the Formations "Oddball" conversion. Some references say that a few were sent, others say none. I am far from an expert on Korean War armor so I can't say which with any authority.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
I have seen pictures of an American M4A3 VVSS with 76 mm featuring a dozer blade and painted up with tiger stripes. I beleive the name on it was Hyzer's Tiger on it and it was from the 3rd Engineer Combat Battalion.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 07:33 AM UTC
Archer makes a set of M4 Korean War markings, but I do not know if they include Canadian markings. I have the set, but would have to dig it out to check to see if they are included or if only US decals are.
basiltank
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 03:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Archer makes a set of M4 Korean War markings, but I do not know if they include Canadian markings. I have the set, but would have to dig it out to check to see if they are included or if only US decals are.

any info would be great.. Canadian stuff esp. in braille scale. Korean stuff is a very small niche as Candian tanks involvement was realitively minor
 _GOTOTOP