_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sidewalks
Removed by original poster on 11/21/17 - 19:34:55 (GMT).
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 06:30 PM UTC
Tim,

A side walk is a stripe pf Balsawood (you can even bend a bit when you wet it before) and you fill the space behind with whatever you want. Plain plaster, cobblestones made of cork etc.

Cheap, easy and you can do the wide and size you need.

Who needs a Verlinden sidewalk?

Cheers
Claude
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 08:26 PM UTC
Have to agree with Claude, its very easily made. Id suggest you look for reference images though and get suitable details that make it look natural and convincing. This is the major advantage when building your own.
If you are modelling a sidewalk ... will you also model a road or buildings? Plan it, so everything hangs together.
Removed by original poster on 11/21/17 - 19:34:46 (GMT).
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

Excuse my directness, but there is a big discrepancy in your post. If you want to build such a massive dio with six structures , but you don't know how to do a simple sidewalk, sorry, that doesn't match.

Regarding the sidewalk, please see my update on my Clervaux thread from today, it shows a sidewalk i made.

Do you have pictures of any of your work you already did?

Claude
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi Tim, have a look at Claudes thread, Also for buildings do a search for blokhaus (Carlos Elias - his work is amazing. If this is your first big dio. Plan it out well, do plenty of sketches and maybe make a mock up in Cardboard to help with the layout. With a little bit of planning and forethought it's surprisingly easy to make your own buildings. Don't be afraid to ask questions here there are lots of techniques and everyone has their favourite.

For side walks- well I would make the road first in plaster and mark where the buildings are to go. I would make a shuttering mould as they do when making real concrete sidewalks, It can be made from clay, plastic strip, wood, cardboard etc. then pour the plaster in run a straight edge along while the plaster is wet to get it all the same level and carve in the detail when it's dry.

If you are going to buy readymade buildings from Verlinden or elsewhere ask here first because the quality and sometimes the scale can vary.
 _GOTOTOP