_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tracks on M1A1
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hi peeps.
Well got both M1A1 and M1A2 but now How have you all been painting the tracks on this thing as the side skirts are low,has been no cheating here has it . Looks to me like it is going to be a pain to paint them . Yes have checked out the photos of the kit .Also tried to get the afv clubs tracks ordered but will have to wait to see if they can get them out of production.
Latter
Thanks
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi peeps.
Well got both M1A1 and M1A2 but now How have you all been painting the tracks on this thing as the side skirts are low,has been no cheating here has it . Looks to me like it is going to be a pain to paint them . Yes have checked out the photos of the kit .Also tried to get the afv clubs tracks ordered but will have to wait to see if they can get them out of production.
Latter
Thanks

This may be a blaring case of the obvious, but I paint the track before I put it on the vehicle.
DJ
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 08:20 PM UTC
Street: As 210 Cav said, Paint the treads before applying them to the model. But mostly tou wil want to paint the pads a diffent color than the tracks themselves. For an example you can take a look at my M1A1 posted here at the gallery. There are some pretty good shots of mine that you can compare with. Other wise I painted mine in a dark earth colr and then painted the road pads a dark black. and the pins were done in a steel color.
The option is pretty much yours as to how you want to paint them. Depending on the way you want it to be portrayed. i.e. Dio Etc, "Good Luck"

DAGGER : A weapon with a short pointed Blade: " THE CUTTING EDGE"
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 04:04 AM UTC
Silly me what was I thinking
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
If your doing link to link here's how I do mine.

Assemble the suspension but do not permanently fix it to the hull. Next assemble the tracks and fit them to the suspension. Next after they are dry you can remove them for painting. Replace the track onto the hull and fix the road wheels and mask the lower hull for final painting.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 07:10 AM UTC
Steve--impressive. Paint job is superb. Your phot techniques are also impressive.
thanks
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Assemble the suspension but do not permanently fix it to the hull. Next assemble the tracks and fit them to the suspension. Next after they are dry you can remove them for painting. Replace the track onto the hull and fix the road wheels and mask the lower hull for final painting.

So you did apply the side skirts after you painted it I hate to do that. Which is what I meant in first question I guess I was not to specific. Sneaking them up in their looks like a xitch. How about this seems as you can't see them on top why don't I just put enough to make it go around the drive sprocket and idler the rest will be hidden. I know how to do tracks I usually wash them in dishwasher after I put them in a piece of new pantyhose set that puppy on low heat and let her rip gets all that grease out and also Spotless I might add. then I shoot from acrylic paint primer that is used on the newer bumpers if they are vinyl then shoot on final paint.sometimes might use a little silver rub in buff dry brushed. in the old days haven't done tracks in a few years. Followed by a coat of dull coat to seal everything. well what do you think is this okay. And thanks for all the good replies I have never tried the leaving of road wheels off with some of these Russian kits if you don't glue them on the wheels won't stay their,allways looking on floor for them.Damn wheel where the hell did it roll to now.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So you did apply the side skirts after you painted it I hate to do that. Which is what I meant in first question I guess I was not to specific. Sneaking them up in their looks like a xitch. How about this seems as you can't see them on top why don't I just put enough to make it go around the drive sprocket and idler the rest will be hidden. I know how to do tracks I usually wash them in dishwasher after I put them in a piece of new pantyhose set that puppy on low heat and let her rip gets all that grease out and also Spotless I might add. then I shoot from acrylic paint primer that is used on the newer bumpers if they are vinyl then shoot on final paint.sometimes might use a little silver rub in buff dry brushed. in the old days haven't done tracks in a few years. Followed by a coat of dull coat to seal everything. well what do you think is this okay. And thanks for all the good replies I have never tried the leaving of road wheels off with some of these Russian kits if you don't glue them on the wheels won't stay their,allways looking on floor for them.Damn wheel where the hell did it roll to now.

You can only do what can only be seen. That's how I did my Maus. Just finish the lower suspension glue the wheels on after you got the tracks done. Your using the suspension as a jig to build the links. Mask the suspension then put the side skirts on and paint. My picture is of some Tiger II battle tracks I'm using on a Panther II so no side skirts. Your method sounds good also. I'm just trying to get the tracks on and finished before mounting the side skirts.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
Steve--can you describe the construction of the Maus? I have one and wish to start it someday. Is it worth the effort?
thanks
DJ
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve--can you describe the construction of the Maus? I have one and wish to start it someday. Is it worth the effort?
thanks
DJ

Built this kit stock years ago. After a discussion with some guys during my time on AOL. the idea to do an improved production version was brought forward. The changes to the kit are a copula for the commander, screens for the engine vents and changing the turret front slope to reduce the shot trap. On my kit I did not do the top run of track. I also shimmed the turret to clear the deck better and removed some of the front guard plates to clear the new turret front. One thing I would recommend is doing up a length of track just before assembling the sprockets and using it to help align the sprockets.

http://www.salt6.addr.com/Panzer46/CAMER012.jpg

http://www.salt6.addr.com/Inprogress.htm

_GOTOTOP