Armor/AFV: Group Builds
Build a model with your online buddies!
Hosted by Darren Baker
T2K Ideas?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
I received a turretless Tamiya M16 halftrack (type with the quad .50, but the turret was not included) from a great Armorama trader (Paul aka ptruhe, thanks!). I was planning to rebuild an old M16 I did many years ago, but the Twilight 2000 campaign gives me pause to think about using the halftrack as a basis for a T2K vehicle.

I'd like to cap off the combat compartment and mount a turret of some type there. Maybe one of those larger cuploas. Any ideas? I think I have an old Tamiya M113A1 FSV turret kicking around, several M113 cupolas, older US tank cupolas (M48, M60).

I'd really like to find an LAV-25 turret, but a Bradley turret would do just as well. Maybe I'll post a "looking for" thread.

Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:32 PM UTC
LAV turret would be kinda neat! Also a TOW system patched on would seem like a reasonable field mod. Would it be realistic to think that some 106mm RRs would be unearthed and brought into the fray? Maybe an Ontos/M16 sort of hybrid...

Just some thoughts...

Jim
webfoots
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:52 PM UTC
When does the campaign start and what are the rules?
ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
Sabot,

The "Avenger" AA turret might be a cool alternative also.

Chris
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

LAV turret would be kinda neat! Also a TOW system patched on would seem like a reasonable field mod. Would it be realistic to think that some 106mm RRs would be unearthed and brought into the fray? Maybe an Ontos/M16 sort of hybrid...

Just some thoughts...

Jim

Actually, I was considering an Ontos turret since I have an extra Renwal/Revell Ontos turret. The detail quaity is a little too toy like though for a serious conversion. I bet I could juke some of those Bradley turret offers I've gotten into something neat.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
How about the Up Gunned turret from Tamiya's AAVP7 where the 50 cal ring is in the front passanger compartment is.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
Easy... 16-inch recoilless rifle!

Seriously now...

How 'bout the Bushmaster turret of the old Tamiya Humvee? Or a multiple TOW system in a turret (say, four TOWS)? Or better yet, a surface-to-surface version of the Hellfire. Or LOSAT carrier! Or a flame thrower? Or a C4I vehicle? A mast-mounted radar vehicle (think Longbow)?

Webfoots: Campaign "started" last 4th of July. It was a "soft-opening", i.e. we can all start on that date, provided you don't paint the vehicle before IIRC September, which was the original starting date. For more info, check the Campaign Command Centre Forum, Twilight 2000 thread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When does the campaign start and what are the rules?

Go to the Campaign Central Command Forum and check out the thread. The T2K Campaign has already started (July 4, 2003) for those desiring to build more than one model, or those going for extensive conversions or scratchbuilds for the more esoteric vehicles featured in the RPG references - with the provision of no painting and no final assembly of entries. The Campaign Folder and Journals will not be made available until 1 Oktober (spelling for GIB and Jacques ) - the original start date for this campaign.

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hey Rob, just make sure teh chassis can "take the weight". A bradley turret might be a bit too much, maybe not...I am not sure.

Another idea, is a Verticle Launch System inthe "box", like the russian "Tor" ADA. A thought I have had with the M16 I have. Or maybe just blank off the "box" and add a Radar set to it...
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Rob, just make sure teh chassis can "take the weight". A bradley turret might be a bit too much, maybe not...I am not sure.

Good thought. Coincidentally, I just saw someone on FSM's website with a Grant turret mounted onto a halftrack back. It didn't look as good as I thought it would (a turret on the back). I may re-think my position, I've seen the Skybow 106mm Recoilless Rifle that comes with their M38A1C packaged separately. I may do that,or find the DML TOW missile set with US Marines. Maybe even make my own type of missle pack launcher to add to the rear combat compartment. That Bushmaster idea warrants some thought as well....
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC
Rob

As the Halftrack is open at the back, how about mounting two TOW launchers on rails. Double the killing power.

Or how about the Hummer Stinger 'backpack' mounted on the Halftrack with TOW launchers instead of Stinger packs. If the Hummer can take it the M16 sure can.

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
How 'bout one of those Israeli 60mm HV gun turrets that Verlinden did awhile back for the 113? Might not be too much extra to do to 'beef' up the basic HT chassis. :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC
Vulcan turret might be kinda cool, although I think Jeff" "Tactical Winnebago" idea is really good, too. Big slab sides for all of the graffiti that was prominent in the vehicle guides.

Just my .02

Shaun
AaronW
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 05:32 PM UTC
Some of the Israeli conversions might be a good start for ideas. A couple that come to mind are the ball mounted mg operated by the front seat passenger and the dual 20mm gun replacing the quad .50's, how hard would it be to get a 1/35 kit of a vulcan phalanx or maybe the turrret off the vulcan armed M113? Another idea is getting one of the modern weapons kits, I've been thinking about updating a Tamiya SAS Land Rover by using more modern weapons.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
Nah, button the rear up, paint the whole thing black, and put some loudspeakers on it...You can wire it up to play the words Kevin Bacon says in animal house during the parade/riot..."All is well, please remain calm..." Heh heh heh. #:-)
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:37 AM UTC
Fold the sides down and put a Bofors or a radar unit in the back. I've got 8 SS-11 AT missiles laying around that you could put in a double stack launch pod.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP