_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
REVIEW
Model Scene Late Summer Med. Stones
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC
Charles Reading takes a look at a pre-made 7”x11” (17.78cmX27.94cm) landscape complete with grass, grass clumps, weeds and rocks from Model Scene.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 02:37 PM UTC
Looks good but for me a tad high in price.

A good review.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 03:52 PM UTC
Very interesting item Charles .. thanks for the introduction and the review. At first glance, it does look very good and realistic.
Wonder how difficult it would be to place a tracked vehicle (most common item built) on this mat? Could be difficult to get it to conform to the ground ... or at least create a lot of extra work involving articulating the running gear over the stones and pre-laid grass.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 04:36 PM UTC
Hi Frank,
I don't think it would be too difficult to place a tracked vehicle. You'd sort of have to do a 'reverse build' in that once you decided where to put the vehicle, you'd have to pick out grass and flatten the path of the vehicle, maybe add some mud or dirt with pigments etc.
The actual mat seems pretty sturdy in that you could cut or pick grass out of a specific area without too much problem.
There seems to be room for all sorts of experimentation. Although the rocks are set in place with some sort of glue and don't fall off or come loose, they are pretty easy to pull off if you want to move them or just want to get rid of some. All in all it seems pretty versatile.
Cheers,
Charles
dtt28cornell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 07:10 PM UTC
I thnk this mat is awesome, I know how long it can take to make something and make it look real. This is great and I do not think the price is to hihg at all - 23.99 is reasonable. If you had to make a huge diorama and buy 10 of these, than maybe it is? Depends on who can afford it or not.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
I saw a vendor at AMPs last month had several of these on sale at the show. I just cannot remenber who it was. Anyway, they look great and would make for a Great addition to any vignette or Dio. milvehfan
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the product review, looks very interesting.

Al
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
I have mixed feelings about it. It looks pretty good and does save time, especially for those of us who are slow builders. To me, getting into a lot of prebuilt stuff turns what we do, from a hobby into a collection. While to some ,collecting is a hobby, to me to create from kits and materials is more the way to go. This particular pre made matt does seem very nice though, if you like that kind of thing.....Al
 _GOTOTOP