_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
SS Kavalier
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

This is my serious figure attempt, any comment is welcome.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
Ola Dave

From what I can tell from the pictures is that the colors you used are quite good and that the camo looks ok too but there is one small problem that should easily be solved.
Your figure is too shiny. It looks a bit like he has a leather camo suit on. Further then that I dopn`t have that much critics on this figure. as with everything in modeling you got to try, try, try. my first figures were even worse

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
Looks generally good, construction and overall paint-wise.
Some thoughts:
The flesh tone looks off to me (could be the lighting) and could use some highlights and shadows. If the molding is soft, that can be quite hard to do.
Put a little more droop in the reins.
It looks llike there might be a part of the horse furniture that wraps around the base of the tail and attaches under the saddle. The connection between the tail and the saddle seems to be missing. Look closely at the base of the tail and you'll note some bit of raised detailing that suggests that. A strip of thin sheet stock or foil painted to match the rest of the leather work will fill that in.
Looks a tad glossy, but I'm guessing there's a flat coat coming.
Add a bit of dry brushing tothe main and tail to emphasize the texture.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
looks good Dave. Apart from being too shiney it is excellent
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:59 PM UTC
Dave,
I shall also have to agree with the others uniforms are a bit shiny (This is the first time I have critisied your work :-)please don't hurt me ) Other than that they look good
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
Perhaps the horse blanket could do with a bit of texture, the glossy finish could be an effect of the photo. What figure did you base this on Dave? The head could do with replacing for example as the features look a bit 'soft' also the binoculars look as if they are moulded into the chest. Apart from this nit-picking, I like the pose very much and the overall effect is nice. Which at the end of the day is all that matters......Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:50 PM UTC
Nice finishing colors - have to echo other comments.

I would tighten the reigns a bit or sag them more naturally.

Good job. A horse is not an easy venture.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
Dave:

I have always admired your modeling efforts, and especially your willingness to attempt a variety of subjects i.e. armor, air, sea, and now figs. As a UOM you are a good example for the rest of us.

I have followed the in progress pics on this subject, and congratulale you on its completion.
Pretty impressive for a first figure attempt.

Steve
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
Dave,

Nice try on the figure and horse. My comments are do more figures and you can grab the technics that you need. Keep it up buddy...

Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
great figure but i have to echo about the shine and skin tones. But then again, jaundice was common in ww2!! (jaundiced smiley face)
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 07:52 AM UTC
Howdy Partner!
Over all good job! It does look too glossy and the skin color looks a little wierd (shadows on picture??) I realize its very hard to do, but if you could try to either put more of a droop on the reins (as already suggested) or tighten them up it would look better. Usually you let the reins droop or if you are holding the horse back etc you have the reins tight. I know that's really nit picky but when the rest of the figure looks good it kind of jumps out at you. Its a well done figure and it is practically screaming to go in nice little pastoral scene. I think that's the only thing I havn't seen you do, a diorama. GO FOR IT!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC
is it just me or is he yellow? :-) maybe its just the lighting,but try running a brown wash over it an wipe very lightly with your finger,to keep it off his cheeks where it would dry,and make him brown....ish :-)
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:48 AM UTC
Dave,

Looks pretty good. I can't see the whole face, but the rest looks good to me.

You could maybe use a little highlight and shadows on your figure. As someone said before, it shines allot on your figure, it is probably the lightning but, you could use matte varnish
 _GOTOTOP