_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Help with this T-72
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 05:31 PM UTC
When doing my research for my Russian T-72B during the first Chechen war I came across as what appears to be a very unique looking T-72A. It carries the Chechen flag and the turret appear to be painted haphazardly in white. I would REALLY like to build this vehicle but could people shed some more light on it. Any more pictures or any knowledge of its service would be great,

Thanks everyone

shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 01:16 PM UTC
Anyone?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 02:58 AM UTC
Cant help you with any specific details, I tried to do some digging around on the net but cant find much. That said, I have read somewhere (no idea where) that the Chechen's definitely captured T-72's, particularly following the initial assaults on Grozny, when tanks went in without adequate infantry support. So I say go ahead and build it, looks like a very interesting subject!
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 07:03 PM UTC
Thanks for trying Rob. I think I am just going to dive right into it and see what happens. I'll be starting very soon. Just still searching
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hey Sean, I thought you might be interested in this Yes it is a russian T-72 captured by the Chechen and yes the turret is painted in some sort of white wash. For what ever the reason for the white I can't figure out, but I came across a russian model website that someone had built the very tank you have been wanting to do. The site is in russian with a few basic english translation on it, but it defiantly confirms the white T-72 captured by the Chechens. If I had to guess and I maybe wrong, it might be a winter camo since looking at your pictures it does appear to be during the fall or very early spring time.
Chris

_GOTOTOP