_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
DML: New Östfront Figure Set
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC
DML have just announced another 1/35th scale Figure Set in the shape of: 6652 - Ostfront Winter Combatants 1942-43. Images and my highly opinionated comments on this new set, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
Well put.

The problem with these sorts of figures is putting them in a diorama. I have seen few photos I'd want to replicate with a soldier firing a flare pistol, for example.

I think MB is on to something with their recreation of that Rommel photo. There are so many interesting photos out there that invite replication in a dio.

I still wonder when we'll see soldiers who've fallen out after a march, or are waiting for the artillery to soften up the objective before they go forward?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 06:29 AM UTC
It looks like a set of four individual figure kits packaged together. Like Bill said, there are plenty of good photo references to use for figure sets. In this case they are being too original.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like a set of four individual figure kits packaged together.

My thoughts exactly. I've rarely seen a set which has caused me to actually groan. Execution probably an 8.5, Imaginiation a 2.00?
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Jim, great review, I agree 100% with the points made (particularly about Masterbox's excellent recent releases).

However, I don't think thats the idea behind this figure set. Like the similarly boxed 6574 'German Warriors 1940-41'(figures in a line with white background) recent release, I think these are supposed to represent individual figures as you and Russ say.

I build dio's but often don't have time/space, a simple base is usually enough and I always like to include a figure for scale. These are excellent for this kind of thing and the mix of sides allows people who like to model a particular 'theatre' to have enough for a few projects. Often I end up buying a set of 4 interacting figures to get one figure for this purpose, the other option is more expensive resin figures. As I say, these are ideal for this or if you like to do the odd stand alone figure project from time to time.

Cheers,

James
JasonD
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 08:50 AM UTC
Seems a rather perculiar release to me. If this is intended as a release of 4 individual figures then Im struggling to see the point. The German Warriors set at least had figures in unusual but useful poses. However, these are a return to the straight up and down (mostly) staring wistfully into the distance pose.

When you consider the really innovative poses being produce by companies in resin like Bravo and Stanlingrad or in plastic by masterbox these do seem to be rather ill thought out. To be honest it looks like DML had a few unused poses that they decided to throw together in a set.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC
As more of a figure builder than diorama builder, I kinda like this "set". I think it might not be the best marketing strategy in styrene world though.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC
I fully agree Jim. Not particularly inspirational at all. The only fig thats really of any interest to me is the Fallschirmjager which could be used with another DML F'Jager set. They're all fairly nondescript. While I like working with DML figures as they're nicely moulded and are useful as basekits, MB are leaving them way behind in relation to variety and the dynamics of figures. Not only are MB imaginative but their moulding is spot on. Unless DML start listening to modellers requests/ideas they're going to go the way of Tamiya figs when DML appeared. Consigned to history...
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
FWIW, these figures are based on Concord publishing and Dragon Action Figure artwork.

Now I cannot presume to speak for Dragon despite a long association with them but every company has to deal with changing circumstances. Talented staff come and go and economic situations change. I very much agree that there are some inspiring figure ideas coming from other manufacturers
and suspect that it originates solely from the unique talent of the designers/sculptors involved. Such talents are not common.

I've not been involved in Dragon's figure program for about 18 months so can't offer any comment on what their plans are in this regard. Perhaps the best is yet to come.

Cheers,
Ron Volstad
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi, Ron, I would like to address this to you, as you perhaps have more influence and talent in the world of 1/35th figures than anyone I know of.

The world of modeling has many fine standing, sitting, pointing, shooting or walking figures.

What it lacks is figures in realistic soldier positions. My particular desideratum is figures at rest: soldiers flopped down on the ground or leaning against something with that 1,000 yard stare. After all, isn't the common soldier expression about it being "hours of excruciating boredom punctuated with a few moments of blinding terror"?

With so many photos coming to light from WW2 showing men interacting with their environment, it would be great to see figures or figure sets that replicated that kind of interaction, not standing around or pointing into the distance.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate the chance to express this point.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 12:08 PM UTC
Dragon has issued figures in the past featuring "seperate" figures (such as the German sniper kit, German signal troops,etc.). I suppose they are hoping the buyer will want them as "stand alone" figures that can be mixed or matched with other sets, or as one or two figures alongside a vehicle or something...the downside of course being if you don't want certain figures, then the set will not sell. Considering the rather hefty price of four-pack figs these days, it's a risky move - especially when other manufacturers have confirmed the "new" figure market for dynamic or unique poses, at rest sets, etc. I'll wait for something a little more "fresh" - I probably have fifty Jerries standing around with MP40's!
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 03:42 AM UTC
Nice,accurate review,Jim. Looks like DML was going for the "universal use" reason for buying. I think they are Johnny-come-latelys to MB 'multipose'(between sets!)methodology. I'm going to be stocking more MB sets in my stash just for the multipose feature alone. Very underated feature of MB figures.
Keep on reviewing!
Rick
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
Let me clarify something. I don't like 'Instant Reviews' and it was NEVER my intention to do a review of this set. Rather, it could be described as 'Editorial' - something I don't do too often..

Why did I do it? Probably a good part of me was indignant. If it had been from some new company, or one who don't put a lot of stock in their figure releases, then I would probably have let sleeping dogs lie.

However, on both counts DML is a company who have pushed the limits in both their figure and armor releases and this set, strikes me as doing their reputation no good whatsoever. As I mentioned a probable 8/10 for execution, but a 2/10 for imagination, seems pretty fair. A few years ago, sets like this would have had a lot of people Ooohing and Aaahing, this looks like the planning was left out of the process completely. Sticking 4 figures together with a vague 'Östfront' theme doesn't cut it.

Reputations have to be constantly enhanced - resting on styrene laurels is a REAL recipe for disaster...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 10:00 AM UTC
Not something I´d run out and buy immediatly, but they are definatly useable, in vignettes or as "life" detail along with a tank. The thing is, its the quality. Dragon´s figure quality is pretty good, so you have four decent figures for the price of one resin.
MBs figures ... I agree have great poses ... do not come close to this quality, and although they are great for filling in a diorama, dont really work as stand alone figures or for vignettes.
The 2 Russians would be worth the price for me, if I needed them.
Shakermaker
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
If DML will continue introducing figures based on Concord Publishing artwork, I just hope they will also use Stephen Andrew's amazing artworks.
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
Guess I am the odd man out here, I'd buy this set the second I see it. Oh and BTW all four figures are indeed in winter gear

It is rare to find a good-quality plastic figure of early-war Red Army guys, much less one with an SVT rifle. The other soviet guy with the telogrika can be used for any period in the war as far as I can tell - he has no epaulettes but those were often left off this item of clothing, so I think he'd be OK from Moscow to Berlin.

As for the Germans, I don't build that many but these look OK. Tell youwhat, I'll swap my krauts for your commies, guys.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is rare to find a good-quality plastic figure of early-war Red Army guys, much less one with an SVT rifle.

There's a superb one in one of the recent MB sets...
General44
Visit this Community
Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 12:03 AM UTC
The German soldier with the flare gun might be a good combo with an anti-tank gun. I have watched one World War two doc where a sentry is standing on watch behind an 88. You could add another fig looking out across the field...with binocs and a map...maybe with a field phone...
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi

I can understand why on the face of it one would come to the opinion that this is a very boring and not very imaginative release from Dragon and in some respects I'd agree with that.

On the other hand maybe the rationale behind Dragons release is that their figure moulding has got to a level that its as close to resin figures as any plastics manufacturer has got so far. As such they are releasing these in a similar way, to be used as individual figures by figure painters or combined with other figure sets to add or enhance them. With Dragons tendency to cram as much as possible into a box, give as much for the money as possible, they give us four figures to use rather than one as is the case with resin. Just a thought.

As for comparison to other figure manufacturers, it's getting harder and harder these days to compete and the levels of detail and sculpting, even in the few years I've returned to the hobby is very noticeable. As Masterbox seems to have been mentioned I'd say they are very good on ideas, animation etc. within their sets, but they've still got some way to go before their figures are as finely detailed and finished as the latest Dragon plastic figures, which are in my opinion the best in this respect, available.

Alan
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
Oh I dunno, Jim. It's not that bad a set.

Perhaps not one to set the world on fire, but 4 potentially useful *single* figures nonetheless. I quite like the fur-hatted Russian.

- Steve
Shakermaker
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If DML will continue introducing figures based on Concord Publishing artwork, I just hope they will also use Stephen Andrew's amazing artworks.

Well, my hopes have come true. Just look at this:

:)
 _GOTOTOP