_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Individual Track Links
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC

In the past I have used the ARMO track links for my Tamiya T-62, and the Model-Kasten for the Tamiya T-55.
Both are just fine, giving the correct sag, but are very fragile when handling. The installation pins come off frequently, and the links get broken very easily.
Now, that I am building the Trumpeter T-62, I am planning to try these new (for me) clickable track links from MINIARM or MASTERCLUB.
Are they any good and resistant, or should I use the Friul metal tracks?

Your opinion is welcome.

Regards,
Flores
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 05:06 AM UTC
Friuls would be the way to go for strength, the clickable links would be fine I suspect if a small amount of glue is used when placed on the model. I say that as I do not know how easily they come apart.
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
Darren,

Thanks.

I have used Friul once. They are tough, realistic and don't break apart easily, but weigh a lot, and are pricey, these being the only cons.

Regards,
Flores
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hi Flores,

I note the comments about FRIULS but I love them and use them for virtually all my builds except M4's with tight 'live' tracks. The set for the proposed T-62 would be the same as I used on my 1/35 Afghan Northern Alliance T-55 (Tamiya) and they were excellent to use with hardly any clean-up at all - and perfect fit around the sprockets.

They are also almost indestructable over the years as you move the models about for cleaning / moving house / taking them to club meets etc. I don't think many of the plastic or resin track sets would hold-up so well?

Personally, I also find the weight of the metal tracks gives a satisfying 'feel' to the model so I don't see it as a 'con'.

I know a lot of modellers swear by "Modelkasten" but I find them too fidly to assemble and they are not very robust when the model is handled over time. I cannot comment on the "Miniarm" etc. resin sets as I have never used them however I do have a set of their T-64 & T-90 track links in the stash for some future builds and the quality looks to be excellent.

Hope you find a suitable set for your project though I understand that the kit's indy links in the Trumpeter T-62 aren't too bad anyway?

Best of luck!
Gary
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Flores,

I've used Modelkasten in the past for my T-55 also, as well as Miniarm (T-90) and Masterclub (BMP-2,T-80).

I have never used Fruil though, mostly as they don't do that many modern russian sets.

As far as the Resin click links go I found them easier to assemble than the Modelkasten. They are a little delicate though, and if you're not careful they can break a few times while trying to "bend" into place. However any breaks are quickly fixed with superglue and loose links can also be glued.

I'd say that Miniarm and Masterclub are on level playing in terms of detail and quality, and both have the same issues of delicacy.

For me though the main advantage over platic or metal is the amazing level of detail you can get in resin tracks. Serial numbers on the idndividual links, and lots of surface detail.
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hello Gary and Jon,

I think you guys gave me the whole picture of the available workable tracks in the market, including those that came with my Trumpy T-62.

Why not give them a try?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Flores
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 11:04 AM UTC
There is just one thing you need to watch out for on the Trumpeter T-62 and that's the drive sprocket. There has been reports it won't fit the metal tracks from fruilmodel. I haven't been able to confirm this as I replaced mine with T-72 tracks which comes with a new sprocket. The kit tracks on the other hand do fit the supplied sprocket in the kit. I figure I figure I would give you heads up before before you buy anything. There is a forum on this website that talks about the metal tracks.
Chris
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

....that's the drive sprocket. There has been reports it won't fit the metal tracks from fruilmodel..... There is a forum on this website that talks about the metal tracks.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the alert. I tought the Friul set came with their metal drive sprockets.

Regards,
Flores
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hey flores, no the metal tracks from fruilmodel do not come with a new drive sprocket, it was I beleive design mostly to go with tamiya's T-55 kit. I could be wrong about that, but the teeth placement on trumpeter's T-62 drive sprocket don't line up with the notches in the tracks. I just checked with one of the hobby shops I used alot and there's no mentioning about a new sprocket in the set.

Also there's is another modeller Sean Hopkins who has run into an issue with trying to use masterclub's tracks on trumpeter's kit, I was just reading his blog about it. Either your best bet will to use the T-72 track set like I'm using on mine which comes with a new sprocket or try to salvage on from tamiya's T-55. Either way the tracks in trumpeter's kit is still pretty go and so far the only set that will fit their kit.
Chris
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.... I was just reading his blog about it. Either your best bet will to use the T-72 track set ...Chris

Hello Chris,

Forgot to ask: Which Trumpeter T-62 is yours? The 1962 model, or the new 1972?

Regards,
Flores
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hey Flores, I actually have the Mod. 62, I still have to get the 72 mod. I have a blog I doing showing my build progress on the T-62 on this site.......Russian T-62 in Georgia. Feel free to check it out. I did some more research into the fruilmodel T-62 tracks and with a little work they can be made to fit onto trumpeter's supplied drive sprocket. But frankly it's all up to you which route you would like to take.
Chris
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hello Chris,

Gary Owsley wrote to me (at Missing Links) about this subject:

"Depends on which T62 you have.
If you have the T62 Model 72, no they (Friul ATL-01 tracks)are not going to fit the sprocket. It's set up for Rmhs tracks, so-called T72 tracks. If you have the Model 62, then they should fit, it's set up for Omsh tracks, which the Friul ATL-01 tracks are."

HTH

Excellent work your detailing of the T62. I've checked the photos.

Regards,
Flores
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've also saved a lot of money .....

Juankar,

Yes, and with the saved money you may buy some aftermarket items to improve your T62.

Regards,
Flores
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 10:35 AM UTC
Thanks Flores, I wasn't too sure about the tracks as I was reading defferent blogs about the fit of the metal tracks on the trumpeter sprocket. I still think the tracks in the kit are just fine, they just didn't fit what I was trying to build as the newer updated 62's have the new set of tracks.
Chris
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... I still think the tracks in the kit are just fine, they just didn't fit what I was trying to build as the newer updated 62's have the new set of tracks.

Chris, I think I'll give a try with the tracks that came with the kit. They look fine to me, as I'm not that meticulous with fidelity to reality.

Cheers,
Flores
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Flores!
I see that you too can save money ......

_GOTOTOP