Hosted by Darren Baker
Unknown Vehicle
mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Yesterday while at work, I saw an unusual vehicle drive past on a civilian lowboy trailer. I didn't have time to get a photo. The vehicle looked like a Stryker except that the hull looked completely smooth - no attachment points or hatches visible.
To me, the hull looked taller than that of the Stryker but that could have been the angle that I was looking from.

The vehicle also had a turret. The turret was wrapped in either heavy plastic or canvas, and had what looked like a mid range (30mm or 35mm?) autocannon. It looked too long to be a 25mm Bushmaster. I could be wrong about this, the barrel was wrapped like the rest of the turret. From what I could see of the truuet profile, it did not have a rear bustle like the one on the LAV-25. The vehicle was painted overall a medium green.

Any guesses what it might have been?

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Since only you know what it really looked like, your best bet is to peruse a site such as globalsecurity.org, or even primeportal.net perhaps, and see if you recognize it.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC
Sounds Canadian to me!
mikeo
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 05:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since only you know what it really looked like, your best bet is to peruse a site such as globalsecurity.org, or even primeportal.net perhaps, and see if you recognize it.

True.

I was hoping that the discription would ring a bell with someone. I haven't had time to spend looking for it yet.
mikeo
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds Canadian to me!

I know, but I don't think it was. It did not look like a LAV III. The turret was too short (length) and the hull sides were too smooth. Bobs right, I 'll probably have to look for myself.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:18 AM UTC
A French-built VBCI ?

Frenchy
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yesterday while at work, I saw an unusual vehicle drive past on a civilian lowboy trailer. I didn't have time to get a photo. The vehicle looked like a Stryker except that the hull looked completely smooth - no attachment points or hatches visible.
To me, the hull looked taller than that of the Stryker but that could have been the angle that I was looking from.

The vehicle also had a turret. The turret was wrapped in either heavy plastic or canvas, and had what looked like a mid range (30mm or 35mm?) autocannon. It looked too long to be a 25mm Bushmaster. I could be wrong about this, the barrel was wrapped like the rest of the turret. From what I could see of the truuet profile, it did not have a rear bustle like the one on the LAV-25. The vehicle was painted overall a medium green.

Any guesses what it might have been?

This could have been a new LV25 without the add on armor. The armor is modular and can be removed, but there would be studs where the armor would be. I know that we had been testing LAV25's and a new turret and vehicle cover. You may have seen one of those.

Tanks
Andy
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
Whilst we're throwing photo's out did it by chance look anything like this??

Irish Piranha IIIH MRV with 30mm Bushmaster cannon..
mikeo
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 05:50 AM UTC
Frenchy, thanks for the photo but no.

Roy, the hull looks really close but the turret was different.

Andreas, What I saw looked like a LAV III with smooth sides. The turret kind of looked like a Bradley turret without the TOW launcher or bustle rack but as I said, the turret and barrel were wrapped in a loose plastic or canvass - think car cover - so it was hard to tell. The vehicle did not match anything that I could find on Global Security on in my Hunnicutt or Jands Defense (1999-2000).

A prototype of a new LAV-25 would make sense to me.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC
What about the Pandur II 8x8....the US Army already is using some of the Pandur 6x6s.
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about the Pandur II 8x8....the US Army already is using some of the Pandur 6x6s.

I believe those are actually held more specifically by ARSOC. The Armored Ground Mobility System (AGMS) as it was called was to be used by US Army Special Forces and other ARSOC units IIRC. The regular US Army is pretty sold on the Stryker/LAV III family.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 04:22 PM UTC
Did it have tracks?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/aaav-pics.htm
 _GOTOTOP