_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Accurate Armour's 4.2 inch Mortar
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC

Alan McNeilly reviews Accurate Armour''s "4.2 inch Mortar and 10cwt Trailer"

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Considering the complete lack of any support weapons for the British genre I'm surprised no one commented on this set.

Al
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:04 AM UTC
Looks pretty cool, a little out of my price range..what vehicle would tow this? Jeep or truck?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:12 AM UTC
Alan this is a good review of a product that has a lot of supporting pieces, and if I am honest I missed its publication in the latest posts. Thank you.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi Julian,

Yip, cool bit of kit. I had an interesting converation when I was a Duxford about resin kit prices and a few years ago I might have tended to agree with you, but if you look at the price of plastic models now most resin kit compare favourably with them.

You buy a kit, buy your AM barrels, new tracks, stowage and a figure or two and you've probably spent a lot more that a full resin version of the same vehicle.

Take this one for example, you could just buy the mortar and ammunition set @ £19.95 for a kit that is highly detailed and accurate and comes with everything you need. I'd say that is a reaasonable price given that the design and production costs are quite high and the expected sales probably on the lower end of life. Also you have a unique kit as no other option is open to you unless you scratchbuild your own.

When I got back into modelling I had exacly that problem; a figure costs somewhere between 8 and 12 pounds, that's a lot of money, but then you think on it. The sculptor has to be paid, the figure cast and the production life of each mould is limited, and you then have limited sales expectations, because you have no idea if that particular figure will sell or won't sell so is £8.25 unreasonable given that the quality by and large will be far superior to a plastic one.

The other thing I bear in mind as well as quality is quanity. Some AM manufacturers give excellent value for money in their AM stowage sets for example whilst others give the minimal they can get away with but charge even more, so choosing you AM supplier is important. I tend to buy from abut 3/4 main sources where I know I will get not only quality but quanity.

That's my take on prices at the moment anyway. Thanks for the comments and looking in.

Hi Darren,

Again thanks for the comments. I bumped it up again for that reason lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks pretty cool, a little out of my price range..what vehicle would tow this? Jeep or truck?

From Alan's review: "Carried in a 10cwt trailer the mortar was towed by a Loyd Carrier or T16 carrier although other vehicles could be used too."
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 01:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the info and review Alan.

Quoted Text

Looks pretty cool, a little out of my price range.

IMO it depends on your area of interest. If its British armor of WW2, you have little other choice. I like the fact that its complete with decals ... not something the rest do, which means you have to source these elsewhere .. which costs both time and money.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alan this is a good review of a product that has a lot of supporting pieces, and if I am honest I missed its publication in the latest posts. Thank you.

Hey Al,
I concur with Darren, nice review but I missed it somehow.
What with three World Cup matches each morning, I'm not sure what day of the week it is !!!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

Many thanks,agreed.

Hi John,

Your absence had been noted lol, lol. You'll find an intersting figure and set of radios further down the page!!!

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP