_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Scrath-Built House - Still Working On It
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
Scratch-Built House (sorry I thought i hit the c on the topic post)
Im still working on it. Its going to be part of a big diorama im working on. The house is on its way. I just need to decide what its going to be made out of plaster or corkboard

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
Delta - great construction. The design is good.
My comment on it is the roof material thickness seems to be to thick. The idea is good. You may try to use some thick card stock or paper grocery bag cut into strips. Even a 3.x5 index card or file folder. Do the same process just with thinner material.
You may want to make them a smidge wider to cover the whole span or even to provide a small eve. This may be a design issue with leway.
Sabre5Delta
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
Looks good so far. The important thing is you've got the thing square; seems any time I've attempted something like that in the past, the beams aren't exactly the same length and thus the whole structure is just a tad off. The previous post regarding thickness of roof material is probably right, and the suggestion to use thinner material a good one.

By the way, I'm curious about your user name: do you have asperations to be a Cavalry Scout? Perhaps you are now?

Good work!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
Is it a modern city house? I Like all the neon signs in the background #:-)

The panelled roof is a little unrealistic ....... have you a certain reference? Not many roofs look like this.
Nice stiff cardboard makes lovely slates. Cut in squares and overlap them by 50% of the next row like brickwork, so they are half the size. Slodders idea with the business cards is excellent.. thats what you are looking for ... even a cornflakes box. Build up both sides and then for the peak, fold the squares in half and starting at one end, slide on top, then overlap the slighly as a ridge tile on top. Or get a McDonalds straw ... half it long ways along the stripe, cut into similar lengths and use these as your ridge tile. see these roof tiles to understand what I mean
These straws are excellent as they can be used for mediterainain pipe tiles as well!
Check out Adam Avukich (?) thread where he built his houses with cork. If I could find cork thats what I would use for brick work
 _GOTOTOP