_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centurion Shot Kal
Audren_Dbo
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi for all. This is my first contribuition for the forum, I hope you like

This my last (and third) armor building, AFV Club Centurion Shot Kal. A very nice done kit, very good fitting and detail. In my opinion the only drawback in the kit are the three piece turret, the fit off road weel to axles (impossoble without sanding axles) and the lack of mantlet cover.
Is one of those kits that you say wooolll when opened the box.

Well, here's the thing:

The kit was build mainly ootb, I added scratch build canvas, barbed wire, and camouflage net.

He was painted using an acrylic paint (not specífic to our hobby. Many Brazilians modelers do this, the inconvenience is mix the paint to match the desire color, some times, an alchemist work)

After the dry and cured, a gloss varnish was followed by an oil (artistic) wash and drybrush. A pin wash of various colors was aplied in caertain areas to improve contrast.
I weathered/rusted using artistic oils (direct from the tube) and pastels, in various shades end tones. Some thin coats of flat lacquer varnish sealed the job.

I tried to recreate the mantlet cover, but I don't get a good job (did not look good), so I decide to leave without. It is inaccurate I know, but is better than leave it with something badly done.

After finished, the barbed wire look oversized to me, I will make smaller next time.
I also added weld lines (make from epoxi plaster) in the edges joints of front glacis, upper hull and around the tow cable hook fastenings.

So, tihs is it. Criticism and suggestions are well come.

And sorry for the english erros.

Dbó - Brasil rumo ao Hexa!!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
Audren,
Third armor kit? Very impressive! There are a few minor things that will help with the kit's accuracy:
The rear turret antenna mount was not present on this version. The instructions were wrong in the kit.
Secondly, by the October War, (if that's what your modelling) the smoke dischargers had, for the most part, all been removed.
Third, the black painted fenders--during that time frame these were never black. Later on, when the IDF added rubber extension, THEN they were black.
From what I can see, which is unfortunately small on my Netbook, you'vre done a very nice job on it, especially in taking the time to replace the turret bin tie-downs. The right rear armor plate appears to have taken an RPG hit, which would leave a smaller hole and spalling radiating from the point of impact. During the October War some Centurions sustained well over a dozen hits yet stayed in the fight.
Lastly, a little trick for anyone else building any of the AFV Club Cents--a little gun oil makes those wheels slide right on.
FOr anyone interested, there's an AFV Club specific '82 Blazer Armor kit coming out VERY soon.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 11:14 AM UTC
I like it, looks like it held off an entire Syrian armored division all by itself.....
spetsnazgru
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 661 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Audren,
Third armor kit? Very impressive! There are a few minor things that will help with the kit's accuracy:
The rear turret antenna mount was not present on this version. The instructions were wrong in the kit.
Secondly, by the October War, (if that's what your modelling) the smoke dischargers had, for the most part, all been removed.
Third, the black painted fenders--during that time frame these were never black. Later on, when the IDF added rubber extension, THEN they were black.
From what I can see, which is unfortunately small on my Netbook, you'vre done a very nice job on it, especially in taking the time to replace the turret bin tie-downs. The right rear armor plate appears to have taken an RPG hit, which would leave a smaller hole and spalling radiating from the point of impact. During the October War some Centurions sustained well over a dozen hits yet stayed in the fight.
Lastly, a little trick for anyone else building any of the AFV Club Cents--a little gun oil makes those wheels slide right on.
FOr anyone interested, there's an AFV Club specific '82 Blazer Armor kit coming out VERY soon.

Hi Robert, I have this kit on the bench so thank you for those "corrections", I will try the gun oil trick.
and the great news is the 82 blazer armor, thank god that I did not buy the Legend conversion.
Great bild Audren, keep up the good work.
spetsnazgru
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 661 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like it, looks like it held off an entire Syrian armored division all by itself.....

Search for Avigdor Kahalani's Book about the 73 conflict.
Audren_Dbo
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 04:34 AM UTC
I need fix the date in my camera

Robert, thanks for your clues
I see many photos of that period, with few configurations of antena, the most commom are both left sided (by what I saw in the photos). Even today i don't know well how I decide to put this way.
The smoke discharger really are wrong, but I like the "improved vision" they add to turret, so I decide to put in.
I had not noticed the fact of rubber extensions are not present, very good observation.
I forgot to mention the replacement of the turret/storage boxes/fenders bin tie-downs for thin wire.
The idea in the rear left fender is really recreate a RPG impact, with the worse part being replaced in the field with some scrap metal.

Great comment yours. Thanks

Dbó
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Search for Avigdor Kahalani's Book about the 73 conflict.

I've read excerpts from it. My comment wasn't entirely tongue-in-cheek. Great story of a great battle.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
"Simply Magnificent" work, love your weathering and the working suspension. Hope to see more soon.
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC
Very nice weathering and chipping - stunning tank!
And look for this book and you'll find Kahalani's tank:

Michael
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:45 PM UTC
That looks super. I have this kit on my to-do pile and yeah, that mantlet cover will be an annoyance to replicate now that the original's become hard to find.

The only criticism I have is that the lower half of the tank doesn't look quite as dusty as it could, but it could be the photography doesn't show it? Otherwise the weathering is awesome.
Audren_Dbo
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 06:56 AM UTC
The weathering/chipping was a time consumption task, but the result is was great.

Captin_Caveman_III, the working suspension come with the kit, nut the coils are too strong, I recomend replace by one more softer who wnat let them workable. I did not do this, but should.

I working in a base (the first), so the lower part will be dirty with the same pigments I use in the base.

Dbó
 _GOTOTOP