_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Alexa Toolbar
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC
Is anyone already using this free utility? It's a subsidiary of Amazon. And yes it's basically like a little spyware program (what isn't these days) that sees what types of sites you visit, but it has some really nice side benefits. For one it has a pop-up blocker. Another feature is that you can click a link when on Armorama and see all the sites they have that link to us. Sort of a quick Model Site Directory. Also when a user who has the toolbar visits Armorama.com it improves the sites overall ranking there. I don't mind saying that I am a bit peeved that ML has a rank of 68,000 or so and we are 255,000. I know they must have a lot of Alexa users over there.

On a site traffic note I can say we are still up there with the big boys. In the first 8 days of this month we have already delivered over 14 giga-bytes of data to our users. Anybody who knows a bit about web hosting will tell you that is a feat.

For more info about Alexa you can visit here http://www.alexa.com/.

Cheers,
Jim
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
While I don't use Alexa, I have stopped using Internet Explorer and moved onto a program called SlimBrowser made by Flashpeak. Here's their website:

Flashpeak

It has all the functionality of IE but weights in at only 850K in size. It has a built in built-in popup killer that can be turned on and off by the click of a button.

255,000? Surely we can do better than that.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:18 AM UTC
I use Google's toolbar and Merriam-Websters toolbar. After installing Google's toolbar I searched my PC for it's spyware and found it listed under Alexa. I deleted this from my system's registry. No more spying.
I personally don't care for spies. Ad-aware and Spybot S&D are programs I run often to track em down and remove em.
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC
despite its possible benefits, i will never use spy ware and have programs to detect and delete these pages or software. Still seems amazing to me that a country that is so protective of its right to privacy would be the one that creates the majority of spy ware programmes!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:24 AM UTC
Same here Ken. Use the same two programs. Can't tell you how many times I have had to fight with the GATOR.

Shaun

PS: Is your computer's clock correct? If it isn't click here... LOL

Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In the first 8 days of this month we have already delivered over 14 giga-bytes of data to our users. Anybody who knows a bit about web hosting will tell you that is a feat.

JIm, 60GB/month arrrghhh!!! I started using mod_gzip and I have reduced my bandwidth bill by 20% overall, it also speeds things up too since it delivers the request, HTML and images, in one go. You might want to look into it when you get close to your limit, extra GBs can be costly and it would be nice to have the extra 20% "buffer".

See: http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/gzip.htm

Track-Link is ranked 120,627 :-P
 _GOTOTOP