_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Zimmeritt technique...
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 04:29 AM UTC
This is coming to all of you out there from the semi-quasi paradise formerly known as Iraq....weeelll, maybe not paradise.
Here is a technique I got from a friend of mine several years ago on executing zimmeritt on German tanks. I have used it on several different vehicles and the results are great. The materials needed are listed below.
1. Squadrons White putty
2. Masking tape
3. Putty tool, I use a small dentist tool I got from a show awhile back. Looks like a small spatula.
4. Sand paper
5. Small bladed screw driver, or something similiar

Ok...here goes..
[b]GETTING ROUGH[b]
Using the sand paper, roughen the surface of your model to give the putty something to bite into and provide a better hold. I usually use a 150 or medium grit. It doesnt have to be perfect, but you want to try and get a good surface to put your putty on.

[b]TEAR IT UP[b]
Next, tear up some of the masking tape into irregular shapes and sizes to simulate chipped sections of your "zimm". Figure out where you would like to have the chipped areas at and apply the tape. Once this is done its time for the fun.

[b]GETTIN' ZIMMY WITH IT[b]
Ok so the title is corny, I couldnt think of anything...
Now we apply the Squadron White Putty. I prefer the white as it doesnt seem to be as caustic to the plastic as the green stuff. This might just be my perception, but thats the way I see it. Apply the putty as thin as you can in roughly 1"-2" sections and using the screw driver or whatever you have at hand to apply the pattern add your texture. If there are brackets and holders that would otherwise be covered, you can shave them off before hand and simply attach them right thru the putty where they are supossed to go. The putty will act as the glue. It is easiest to mark the spot before hand somehow and immediately attach them when you get to that location. When you reach the area where the masking tape is, make sure you dont cover it entirelyor you run the risk of not finding it later.simply bring the putty up to the edge of the tape. I speak from experience!! Once you have applied all your zimmeritt let it dry...duh!
[b]KNOCK DOWN[b]
Once everything is dry, If you want to take some of the roughness off of the pattern, you can lightly sand the putty to knock the texture down a little. Dont go over board or you lose the effect all together.
[b]TAKE IT OFF, TAKE IT ALL OFF[b]
The last step is to remove the masking tape areas and thereby reveal the nice chipped area of the underlying tank. Paint and weathering can be completed as normal.

While this process does take a little time, if you take your time and have patience, the end results are really excellent. I wish I had pics to post of some completed vehicles I had, but being stuck in Iraq, I dont have access to any of my pictures. There are easier methods, ie. Cavalier sheets, Eduard etc.., but if you dont want to spend all that $$ and feel adventurous, give it a try. Hope to be building again sometime. See ya around. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP