_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Trench: "Override"
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:54 PM UTC
Howdy!
The idea of a trench campaign sounded so cool that I came up with a quick sketch for a dio. I have a Zvezda BT-7 waiting to be built so this may take place at the Eastern front.
Basically I just thought of one soldier running for cover or keeping his head down in shock, eyes staring at nothing. There is a good reference scene in The Cross of Iron. There would be a bashed mortar and some empty shell casings in the trench.

It may take a while before I can get into building this (as I have many other in-progress dios ) but I thought to post this as an appetizer!

Any comments are welcome!

Toni
laurie
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:23 PM UTC
hi, the sketch looks great, maybe you can put a soldier almost under the tank, praying for life, I can't wait for the pics Envar

Laurie
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but I thought to post this as an appetizer!

Thanks, I am drooling

Toni, I envy your sketching ability's you can really visualize your dio and have a perfect blue print, looks like a great idea can't wait to see it build
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:25 PM UTC
Nice one again Toni... Im already drooling about this Molehill campaign ... this only adds to the cauldron! Great idea and cool drawing .... doesnt leave much to imagination. I wish i had had this idea!! Good luck with it.
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:26 PM UTC
Very nice idea for a dio...
I want to see the photos of the finished dio..
Regards
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
Toni,

the sketch is as always.......fantastic. Get to it and show us some more of your great building capabilities !

Looking forward to the updates !
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:27 AM UTC
Very nice sketch. With the previous work you've shown us I know this will be a gem.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:53 AM UTC
I am reading "Blood Red Snow" by an ex German panzergrenadier. They had their trench line overrun by T-34s and the tanks did "dough-nuts" over the trenches, burying the guys alive. If the diorama is only half as good as the sketch, you've got a winner there.
Keep us posted...

Shaun
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:25 AM UTC
Thanks friends,

I have the whole thing "pre-rendered" in my head, I just hope to find the time to build this project.
The soil will be reddish brown, it will make the green tank look even uglier.
First I was thinking about using a heavy tank, but it would easily turn comical. Think about a German Maus against a single Russian with a rifle... #:-) #:-) #:-)
I believe any tank is scary enough to make you run for your life.

I´ll produce some documentation along the way, writing a build story is one more reason to finish what has been started!

Toni
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
Gee... and all I'm gonna do is have a mortar in a pit with a crew... #:-)

Seriously Toni... your sketch looks great! I look forward to seeing your entry completed!

(Just don't forget about completing you komsom.)
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:54 AM UTC
Awesome idea. Is this going to be W.W.II, or W.W.I? As much stuff they have for W.W.II, I think this would look great as a W.W.I dio. Actually, either era would look great That picture, did you draw that on paper, then scan it? I do a lot of drawings, but they hardly ever show up when I scan them on my scanner. I'm looking for a good scanner, so if anyone knows of any let me know??? *hint* *hint*
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gee... and all I'm gonna do is have a mortar in a pit with a crew...

Hmm...Kevin, somehow I guessed you might be doing something like that...

Quoted Text

Just don't forget about completing you komsom.)

Nothing to worry about. I surely won´t forget it. It looks down on me from the shelf, reminding me every day what a naughty boy I´ve been, starting a myriad projects before finishing the old ones! If I only had somebody to build all those dio ideas...

bracomadar, I draw in my A5 sized scratchbook, it travels with me all the time. I scan all web-related images in 100% scale, 75 dpi. Usually my sketches are black and white, so I use greyscale colour setting. After scanning the pic is often grey and blurry, so I open it in Photoshop, crop it to right size, add some light and contrast and use a filter called Unsharp mask. It sharpens all black lines beautifully, making the picture more detailed.
I usually save the pics in jpg format but line drawings go as well in gif format.
The scanner I use is the cheapest possible desktop scanner, just a bit bigger than A4 sheet. It´s well enough for web graphics.

Toni
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
Really great idea...
Your dio's are a real source of inspiration for me.
 _GOTOTOP