Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri Pz.I Ausf B
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 12:17 AM UTC
Italeri's reboxing of the diminutive Esci Pz.I Ausf B.

Straight OOB using Vallejo and weathered with oils and pigments.

The model is around 40mm in length, so it is rather small!

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 02:12 AM UTC
Damn I have built this kit and I know what you mean about it's size.

You have made a terrific job buddy, the paintjob and the subtle weathering are fantastic.

If I may add propose something, you could paint the inside of the headlight silver and drop a little 2 part epoxy glue to represent glass.

Check my LG 3000 here for the result.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/154036&page=1

Again, nice work, thanks for sharing..
P.A.

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 08:40 PM UTC
Michael,

I too have built this kit but that was a long time ago. . . and seeing yours here brings back some fond and happy memories. Although you've done a magnificent job with the kit it shows it's age. I'm very happy to see it again, it's one of my favorites. Placing that little gem on that well made base really sets it off!

Thanks for sharing.
-Eddy
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 08:31 AM UTC
Very nice and I must guess tiny work of art. I like your simple yet effective little bases.

Regards,
AJ
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 11:16 AM UTC
Great job,Michael!
I have a Fujimi Panzer I,but with ugly vinyl tracks...
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 09:40 PM UTC
Wonderful build! I most specially like the wash as well as the wooden handle of the spade.

Have you tried building Fujimi's Pz I? Those are smaller and have interior parts
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi Michael

thats a very nice build and finish, very convincing looking.

And does this kit have vinyl tracks or link and length ?

cheers
Neil
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi Neil

Tracks are link and length. Italeri do provide enough spares in case of loss to the carpet monster.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonderful build! I most specially like the wash as well as the wooden handle of the spade.

Have you tried building Fujimi's Pz I? Those are smaller and have interior parts

No, I have actually never seen the Fujimi kit available on shelves locally. Might do a look around and seek if it is still obtainable.
BWP
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not quite correct. Fujimi make two different 1/76 Panzer IB kits -- one is an ex-Nitto and the other originated with Fujimi.

The ex-Nitto kit has the (not very accurate) interior (which cannot be seen in any case, even with all the hatches open). The hull shape has accuracy issues also, particularly on the rear upper deck. The kit includes a Kubelwagen and a BMW with sidecar.

The other kit has no interior but is very accurate overall -- indeed it is the most accurate injected-plastic braille-scale kit of this vehicle, period. Somewhat bizarrely, the kit also comes with a PaK 40 anti-tank gun.

This second kit was the basis for the PzJg.IB kit, which does feature a basic but generally accurate interior -- which puts it miles ahead of the ESCI kit, which features no interior at all (or even an open superstructure)!

With the only 1/72 kits of the Pz.IB vehicle series being the ancient ESCI kits, this scale is well-overdue for a more accurate and more detailed line of kits! The ESCI kits are OK but have some shape issues (and as noted the PzJg.IB kit needs a lot of scratch-building work to even approach being accurate).
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 06:02 PM UTC
Very true. I was aware of the read accuracy issues before building the kit. However, it looks a Pz.I Ausf B to me

It would be nice to see a new IM kit of this important AFV
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Nice little model, neat build and paint job. I have just finished painting one and agree with you that it 'looks' the part, even if it is not that accurate. I don't posess any drawings so I don't know and as they say 'ignorance is bliss'. It would be nice if the manufacturers turned their attention to things other than the 'next Tiger I with alternate stowage bin', there is a need for decent Pz I, Pz II and a Pz 35t in IM. Anyway, moan over, keep up the good work.

All the best,

Paul
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Although you've done a magnificent job with the kit it shows it's age.

Hi Michael. Id have to agree with what Eddy said above. From your side, painting and weathering look pretty good. The kit however is showing its age ... and not in a good way. Eventhough there are faults in the base kit, small easy improvement could be done to give it a lift. The tow rope is way out of scale in thickness and size, thinning the fenders and back hatch (or replacing with plastic sheet) and a strap for the jerry can would have complimented your nice paint job and base perfectly.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 06:26 PM UTC
Thanks all for kind comments.

One thing I did not mention and now am is the OOB nature of the build was due to the requirements of a club Italeri group build, in which the kit was to be done as OOB.

I do agree about the jerry can strap though. Good point.
hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 06:50 AM UTC
Nice work on your Panzer - I've hesitated tackling a 1/35th Panzer I because of its small size
 _GOTOTOP