_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72B Question
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
Hello everyone, I have two questions on the T-72B.

First were the external fuel drums ever used on the tank during the Chechnya war?

Second I came across a model that was built up on a russian website and was wondering if the painted flag colors on the gun barrel was really used during the war?

I have everything needed to build a well used and battered T-72 and just needed these two questions answered before I get too far into the build.
Chris
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 04:33 PM UTC
Drums are only used during marches/maneuvers. I doubt they would use them in combat since even fender cells were often emptied and sealed off from the rest of fuel system. The flag on fume extractor was spotted on at least one T-72B during 1994-1996 hostilities.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 04:41 PM UTC
Thanks George, I had my doubts about the fuels drums being used. Makes perfect sense, I see that you left the mounting bracket on your model and I have seen another with them removed. I was wanting to used the straps but no drums mounted and wanted to make sure if it is correct to have the starps still in place.
Chris
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 06:50 PM UTC
Always glad to help. I recall seeing few Soviet post-WW2 tanks with the straps still on, but they were either kept in so called conservation bases or abandoned/being scrapped. Technically, there is nothing wrong with them being left on the active vehicle, it just would be rare sight, that's all.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
Thanks for all your help George. I just want to make sure I build something that is not going to be wrong since I don't see many people modeling the fuel drums at all.
Chris
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all your help George. I just want to make sure I build something that is not going to be wrong since I don't see many people modeling the fuel drums at all.
Chris

Errr I always add fuel drums on my Russian Tanks....

Seriously though for me it's just a personal preference and a cosmetic thing, but as George says they are quite rare to see although not unheard of. Maybe I just like being different?
 _GOTOTOP