_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Proof I'm crazy... Tauro AV7.
PadrePete
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 213 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC
Just to prove the dumpster diving is a sickness with me, here is a build of a Tauro (AHHHH!) kit based loosely on a photo I have from 'The Times History of the War' (yeah I collect ridiculously expensive first editions too) from 1918. No telling if it was at St. Denis, but my sick sense of humour called this "St. Denis de la belle vue", or St. Denis of the beautiful view. It was an AV7 destroyed in front of a ruined French church that had "closed by the dirty Germans" in french whitewashed on where the door used to be.

Sorry for the pictures, they were taken prior to my last eye operation, so they seem a bit 'shiny'. The only extra on the Tauro kit was an aluminum barrel from some nondescript Dragon kit.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 05:57 PM UTC
Good gosh I am dreading building this kit! Good job addressing the track issue in an effectively convincing way.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 06:08 PM UTC
I built that once!

It's possible to make an accurate model with this kit, but it takes a long time. I didn't bother, just built it straight from the box in 1992... then to add insult to injury-- I sold it! Then for reasons I'd rather not go into--- I got it back! Then a year or so it broke apart in a move and I threw it out.

You did a good job on yours. Most will seldom get that far.
hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
Nice job on your AV7 - The whole setting you have it on is perfect, and very convincing damage on the tank!
PadrePete
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
Thanks! I love the great comments about our dumpster diving disease. I have another one unbuilt that has me considering building it with an interior... or maybe I'll just tazer my tender parts until I'm free of the above notion.

Shhh! I think I hear the Tauro box laughing... oh dear...
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
I recently picked up a new book on the A7V. It is worth getting, and it has scale drawings of highlighting the differences of each model. Very helpful info.. unfortunately it makes the Tauro kit even more aggravating...
PadrePete
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I recently picked up a new book on the A7V. It is worth getting, and it has scale drawings of highlighting the differences of each model. Very helpful info.. unfortunately it makes the Tauro kit even more aggravating...

I'd be interested in picking that book up, can you remember the title?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Even better, here's the link to the estore I bought it from:
A7V book. It's affordable too
PadrePete
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
Three beer for that my friend!!!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 02:17 PM UTC
You'll love the book
Now if only the big kit manufacturers would get with the program and start offering us some real quality WWI kits..
PadrePete
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You'll love the book
Now if only the big kit manufacturers would get with the program and start offering us some real quality WWI kits..

I only dream of that. Paying hundreds for a poorly molded slab of resin is beyond me (or my budget) and it confounds me that this has been going on for so long.

The good news is there are more small players in the resin market turning out outstanding stuff in the softskins and motorbike WWII market. I am talking to one now offering my collection of materials if they will choose a WWI vehicle and do it right. Keep your fingers and eyes crossed.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:43 PM UTC
*crosses both promptly and wonders why I am getting strange looks from everyone in the room*

Keep me updated if you would, I would prefer if kits would come out in more affordable styrene, but resin seems to be the way to go for limited interest subjects.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever built AA's Whippet? I think it is the only real quality offering out there for WWI AFV's, but it's still pretty expensive..
PadrePete
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

*crosses both promptly and wonders why I am getting strange looks from everyone in the room*

Keep me updated if you would, I would prefer if kits would come out in more affordable styrene, but resin seems to be the way to go for limited interest subjects.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever built AA's Whippet? I think it is the only real quality offering out there for WWI AFV's, but it's still pretty expensive..

I have that kit unbuilt. The one time I get lucky at a garage sale... $5! I have the Sneider and the St. Chamond as well but they are really at the butt-ugly end of the market.

Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You'll love the book

Here's a little review of that stunning book, I wrote for my german modelling forum - maybe the pics and drawings make sure to buy it - a bargain for money!
http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=32331.0

Michael
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 06:37 PM UTC
Peter: Those landships certainly were ungainly, what brand(s) were they?

Michael: Thanks for sharing your review, and you can see why I love the book
 _GOTOTOP