_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Guidance needed on Challenger 2 selection
SlapFight
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 12:06 PM UTC
I recommend the spray on method as well, although where I am I could not find the Rust-oleum terra cotta brand paint. I took a chance on Rust-oleum Textured fine texture paint. It's a similar (if not the same) product and produced great results. it comes in other colors besides terra cotta, too. Just throwing that out there, good luck!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
Darren: I'm about as patient as they come usually, so the assembly shouldn't be an issue for me. One question though, I thought that I had heard about a fit issue around the teeth on the guide sprockets for either the Tamiya or the Trumpeter kit. Would you have any insight on this?

Jeffrey: Thanks for the tip. I should be able to get either of them without too much of a fuss. If you guys want, I can create some test cards and apply each of the textured paints to them and post pictures of the results on here.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 01:58 PM UTC
I have not heard of that issue and have judged my opinion by the set for the AS90 and PZH 2000 which I have worked on for a review I am doing, I have not started on the Challenger 2 set yet. I would suspect that even if there is a fit issue a little work with a file will overcome it, there is a set of individual links made by Trumpeter which have been used in a Blog on this site.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
Darren, I backtracked through my favorites folders and found the article I remember reading. The deal apparently is that the tracks fit too loosely around the teeth in the drive sprockets of both the Tamiya and Trumpeter kits. You can check out the review for the Bronco C2 tracks here
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 03:23 PM UTC
The latest Challenger 2 from Trumpeter has a redesigned drive and road wheel (which look better than the older wheels) and so I don't know if that problem is still applicable. You can see them in the middle of the sprue shots in the review and a close up near the end of it.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 04:26 PM UTC
I can't tell a difference off hand, but thanks for the info. I think what this whole experience is telling me is that I'm finding myself plenty of reason to get into more trouble in the not to distant future
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What liquid mask do you use?

Ambroid EZ Mask.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP