_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter T-62 Question
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC
Are Trumpeter T-62 kits (#00376 / #00377) both new models? I'm interested in picking one up and want to double check they're both new kits.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
They are both new kits. Pretty nice too! I am working on #377 (model 72) now and its a good kit. They are going to make about 13 versions of this tank so if there's a particular one you want I'm sure they'll release it

There are some weak spots such as the Luna mount, the Dushka MG, loaders persicope too big, p/e deck screens oput of register, etc... but thats me being picky.

There are quite a few reviews out there and some build logs here at the big A.

Chris
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
Thanks, Chris. Are you using references or just building OOTB? I was looking at "The T-62 in Israeli-Arab Wars: The Complete Guide to the T-62 in Wars Against Israel” by Dr. Robert Manasherob and it seems like a good source for interesting color schemes.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
As Chris says, both are new kits.

Some "purists" have slated the "model 62" (see here for example https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/150366), but to my (inexpert) eye it looks like a nice enough kit. It's certainly a big improvement over the ancient Tamiya offering.

Haven't seen the "model 72" yet so I can't comment on that directly.

- Steve
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC
Juan, unfortunately, museums don't want my junk, er, models. I build OOTB for the most part, so I try to steer clear of kits with glaring fit / accuracy issues.
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They are both new kits. Pretty nice too! I am working on #377 (model 72) now and its a good kit. They are going to make about 13 versions of this tank so if there's a particular one you want I'm sure they'll release it

There are some weak spots such as the Luna mount, the Dushka MG, loaders persicope too big, p/e deck screens oput of register, etc... but thats me being picky.

There are quite a few reviews out there and some build logs here at the big A.

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm working on an m 1972 soon and much like Bill I havent been able to source reviews of the 72 variant. Could you elaborate a little more on your points? What are the issues with the luna mount and Dushka etc?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 07:38 AM UTC
The Luna mount is rather simple and thick. Not much detail and a big lack of finese for a piece that is rather visable.

The AAMG is incorrectly detailed with the reciprocators being located too low and improper on the MG mount. That is one where you only have to look at photos of the real deal and the model piece and it jumps out at you. I thought it was ok until I did the research, after having my butt chewed out. This is the same MG mount found in the Polish PT-76B kit.
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 10:55 AM UTC
Jon,
The issue with the Luna Light is that the mounts for the flat plate bracket that it rests on is inncorrect - the kits pcs have them running East-West; they should be North-South. Its a small detail, but they could have just copied the Tamiya pc! I replaced it anyway with soime scratch bits and ABer left overs....

The Dushka mount is totally wrong as Jacques mentioned. We discovered this upon the release of the master pix and I was hoping it would have been fixed, but alass..... You could just use the Tamiya T55 one (I bought the Fruil Dushka and its really nice )

The loaders periscope is too large by 1 mm. It should be quite a bit smaller - Im not going to fix it, but I will add the missing bolts on the shade cover(2)

The Metal barrel is nice but doesn't have the cut-out portion beside the fume extractor- no biggie.....

I have the excellent CMD T-62M turret and barrel and I might try to incorporate it into my build but some pcs wont work since its designed for the Tamiya T62 kit.... I built the Tamiya kit about 6 yrs ago with every AM pc I could find including the Navigator BDD set (which is pretty nice) and I was never quite happy with it ( I think I had @ 250.00 in the entire model.... )so I junked it for spares.

For references I have The Kubinka museum book, Concord books, and a Russian language book I picked up at RussianArmyBooks (Now Russian Motor Books??? - I miss them) and alot of trawling the net.

Chris
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

Chris its odd isn't it given how good tamiyas T-55 Dushka is, I figured a modern trumpy one would be the same if not better... I was planning to swap this for a resin AAMG anyway so I'm not too bothered.

Also Chris you may have answered some of my other questions. I'm planning to build my m1972 up as a T-62M and have been looking for some upgrade parts (as per my other post) I've been looking for details on the difference in size between the Tamiya and Trumpy T-62's. I'm looking at some Modelpoint resin conversion parts that are aimed at the old Tamiya kit and I'm trying to work out it they are workable with the trumpy set, or if I need to scratch build them instead. I guess the turret shapes between the two kits are vastly different?
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 02:33 PM UTC
If youre referring to the Resin mantlet and LRF I have them both. I tried using the MP resin mantlet cover and it won't work - the tamiya turret is a few mms too shallow and is completely wrong in the "face". The Trumpeter turret measures out much better. The CMD turret is perfect and I dont even know if its still availiable - the resin barrel is better than ANY barrel be it metal, resin OR plastic.
Im anxiuosly awaiting to see if Trumpy will do a BDD/Upgraded T62. I could do it with the pcs from Navigator, but the belly armor and glacis pcs would have to be re-done; I would also have to scratch anarmored elec. conduit for the KTD-2 LRF.
 _GOTOTOP