_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need help with my tracks...
Demchenko
Vendor
BRAVO-6
Visit this Community
Rostov, Russia
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC
Thanks Mario!
Right now I`m painting 35033 Marine officer and radioman,this set coming soon. Also I have in process figures of medic + wounded grunt and two wounded figures,one support another.

Vladi
Werekiss
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:36 AM UTC
Okay, so two summers ago I started to build the late version of Tamiya's tiger and i never got around to finishing it.This summer I revisited it and now i'm stuck on the tracks. 2 summers ago, I glued down my drive sprocket and my idler wheel. My question is now that I have glued down my drive sprocket and my idler wheel, how can i put on my plastic tracks?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
(I know......It's long.)
Werekiss
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC
So who's the guy who posted above my question?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:30 AM UTC
It is likely been caused by the site crashing, don't worry about it.

As for your issue cut the idler mount off flush to the hull, then drill a hole of the same diameter in both the hull and the idler mount. Now insert a plastic or metal rod into the idler and secure it to the idler, when this rod is inserted into the hole in the hull the idler arm will now be moveable. Secure the idler to the hull after your tracks are fitted and the correct tension achieved.
Werekiss
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
Let me rephrase my question. My entire model is fishied ( painted, built, etc.) and all I have to do is build, paint and put on the tracks. If I have glues all of the wheels and my upper and lower hull on, how should I be able to put on my tracks?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:59 AM UTC
Is this a rubberband style of track? if it is have you already secured the ends of the tracks?

If the answer to both of these questions is yes then all you can do is place the track on the drive wheel and then stretch it over the idler. Being a Tiger tank this should not be overly difficult unless your idler wheel arm is set to far back.

if the answer to the first question is yes and the second no then feed the track between the wheels and the sponson and connect the ends.
Werekiss
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:05 PM UTC
Im using the tracks that come with the set, so the are the plastic ones. (i.e. the ones yo cut off the spruces gluse one by on, you know.)
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 04:44 PM UTC
Do you want to paint them before you put them on ?

If so what I did when I had the same problem was to assemble them all on masking tape using a slow setting glue, then wrapped them around the wheels positioned as they would be when finished.

Once the glue was set I pulled the tape off. Then where the tracks start to go around the sproket, and where they just come off the sprocket I popped the links apart, and the same at the idler ( by using minimal glue on the links I knew I was going to separate they came apart easily ).

That gave me a top run, a bottom run and two curved bits that went around the sprockets and idlers. I then redid the glue on them to make them more solid, painted them and put them back on. Then I just needed to glue the four joints on each and touch them up with paint.

It can be very fiddly but it's the only way I found to do tracks once the wheels were all on. These days I've learnt to leave the sprockets and idlers unglued till the end.
Werekiss
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 05:05 PM UTC
Well the upper hull is already on, so i guess i'll paint before i put the tracks on. I guess that ill line the tracks on a length of tape and then paint it. After this ill use your method. Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP