Hosted by Darren Baker
1/76 Challenger I (First Tank Build)
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
I am a little nervous doing this but here goes. This is the first Braille scale tank that I ever finished (started a previous one but got discouraged). I found the kit in the local hobby shop's clearance bin for $4.00. I decided to build it for the Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign; my first campaign.

The box

A few of build pictures.

I broke and lost one of the front idler wheels and had to replace it with a scratch one.

In trying to stretch the track over the left suspension I broke the last road wheel no less than three times. I ended up using 5 minute epoxy to strengthen it.

The fit and finish of the kit was less than perfect and with my novice skills took me a long time.

Base colour of Tamiya NATO green and starting on the details painting.

The campaign required that the kit base be used.

NATO black applied and then decals.

Weathering was done using Michael's inexpensive artists acrylics with various techniques (washes, dry brushing, sponging etc).

The results:

Thanks for looking and comments appreciated.

Regards,
AJ
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
It looks good, AJ. It came out nice despite your issues with the wheels and tracks. The weathering is cool, too. You might want to replace those antennas with thin wire or stretched sprue. Weel done.

Chris
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
Nice to see you posting this one outside of the campaign thread. Maybe we can inundate this forum with all the kits that were made during it. I swear that the antennas didn't look too thick in the campaign thread. I must say that I am still amazed at how well the rock on the base turned out. Can't wait for you to share more of your work.

Cheers,
Jan
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi AJ

that kit was a bargain !

Its often the case that what looks like will be a straightforward build throws up a few problems on the way, but you've overcome them and wound up with a great result. The 'lagging' on the barrel looks very effective, and the subtle variations in colour on the base give the impression that its mounted on a real rock !

and Jan (quote) "Maybe we can inundate this forum with all the kits that were made during it. "

I hope you do, too much Braille is never enough !

cheers
Neil
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC
Chris - thanks for looking and the nice comments. The antennas were made from stretched material from the track sprue. I swear than in real life they don't look that thick. I wanted to be flexible as the styrene ones I tried broke every time I tried to move the tank. I see if I can't thin them down further.

Jan - thanks for commenting and I'm glad you like the rock. It took me a few hours over three evenings to get the look I wanted.

Neil - thank you for your interest and it might be fun to see more and newer pictures of the builds from the campaign.

Thanks,
AJ
 _GOTOTOP