_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Internet Photo References for Marine LVTs...?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hello, All,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend websites with good reference photos on the Marine LVT series of amtracs, in particular the LVT (A) 1 "Alligator" and the LVT (A) 4...

I'm finishing up the Italerie Alligator and would like a few more photo reference as well as late war color and marking info... Also trying to figure out the right battle to place it in in a diorama, something in late '44 or early '45. Believe it or not I am having a tough time finding such info.

The Italerie kit is their typical fare --- simplified detail and some sub par engineering, BUT I AM glad to have the kit, as I am with their still-unbuilt DUKW, so I won't complain for too long.
And paying $14.99 for the kit via Squadron was pretty sweet, too --- debated going the aftermarket route, but decided to do what I could on my own and save a few bucks...

I'm emnbarassed to say that I'm not very up on the Pacific stuff --- Vietnam has always been my primary area of interest!

Thanks a bunch!!

Regards and Aloha

Johnny B.
BetioBob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
http://www.modelmecca.com/

Letterman Publications has a series of books available on LVTs by Dave Harper which cover the building of the LVT2, LVT(A)2, LVT(A)1, and LVT(A)4.

These books and Tech Manuals contain photos (B&W and color) of LVTs from Tarawa to Okinawa along with deatil shots of the interior, exterior, color chips to help you in painting your LVT and color line drawings.

They cost between $9.95 and $14.95 each and are worth the price for the information contained.

I'm finding them very useful in the construction of my LVTs.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:01 AM UTC
Johnny
A quick Google search returns this link (among others)
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/usa/lvt.html
HTH and good hunting.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
Thanks, guys!

Appreciate the help!!

Much Aloha!

Johnny B