_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need Help with Walker Bulldog Mantlet Cover
Carter
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 06:43 PM UTC
I have the Tamiya Walker Bulldog and I need help making the mantlet cover. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:03 AM UTC
Tissue paper soaked in white glue/water mix. Take some tissue paper, like the kind used to wrap shirts in a present, and a bit of Elmer's white school glue (PVA glue). Dilute a few squirts of the school glue in water so the water looks like milk. Take the tissue paper and tear/cut it to the rough shape of your mantlet cover. Brush the diluted glue onto the tissue paper in place over the kit mantlet. Shape in any folds or wrinkles and let dry. Once dry, paint and weather as desired. It will turn out similar to this.

Good luck.
Carter
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
Thanks. This sounds more sensible than the suggestion in the insteructions to use a plastic bag.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Tamiya Walker Bulldog and I need help making the mantlet cover. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

You can also sculpt the mantlet cover from epoxy putty, like Milliputt. Get the basic shape down, then add noodles of putty to create the creases and folds, and blend them in. With MIlliputt, you can blend with water (other brands may require paint thinner to blend).
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Here's one I did with Aves 2-part putty......

_GOTOTOP