_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking for insight on Tamiya 1/35 Centurion
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 06:08 PM UTC
Do any of you know about the accuraccy, etc., of Tamiya's 1/35 Centurion III?

I haven't been able to find any previews/reviews on this particular kit. I don't really feel like backdating an AFV kit, especially since I have this Tamiya kit with some extras already.

Any insight/opinions are appreciated.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 11:12 PM UTC
It is soundly knocked as inaccurate as it was designed as a rug runner.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
It's a collector's item now, the turret is particularly bad.It does roughly represent a III however.

You may have some improvements, but be prepared to do a lot of work with white plastic.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
I personally wouldn't waste glue on it.

Keith.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 03:44 AM UTC
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.

Before I start gathering AM stuff for backdating an AFV Club kit, do any of you know if there is a good kit of the Centurion Mk III from the box?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
LionMarc makes a very nice Mk III turret. I have one, but (surprise!) haven't gotten around to using it yet.
The Tamiya kit is indeed a rough kit, but why waste it? I have 14 AFV Club Centurions in the stash, five or six of the Tamiya ones still, (not counting four in 1/25) and I plan to build them all, if I live long enough.

It does take work, but you can get pretty damned close, and hone your skills in the process:

These are just the ones that I happen to have on Photobucket at the moment.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 04:52 PM UTC
Much thanks for sharing Robert, those are some beautiful looking Centurions you have there. I suppose I'm like you in the sense that I can't bring myself to part with the Tamiya mk III. Not sure if it's the box art that is mostly responsible for that For the time being I need kits that are pretty spot-on accurate from the box or with a few add-ons. Maybe later in a few years I can take a crack at the Tamiya kit. In the meantime I'll be sure to look for one of those LionMarc turrets for the Centurion mk III and apply it to an AFV Club kit.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC
Sorry... Too lazy to read all replies. The Tamiya Centurion is very unnaccurate, the turret small and the hull roof too narrow. If you compare Tamiya's and AFV Club's Centurions side by side, you'll notice the dimmensional issue. If you want to build an Mk.3, just buy an AFV Club Mk.5 and the excellent Mk.3 resin turret from Lionmarc. You should need the 20 pdr. gun barrel w/o fume extractor and counterweight at the tip. Check your reference. BTW... I had an AFV Centurion Shot Kal, given to me as a commision build, but I already had a Tamiya Centurion so comparison was unevitable... What a difference... I tried to beef up Tamiya's turret to make it look like AFV Club's turret... And now my turret doesn't fit on Tamiya's hull... Maybe I have to scratch the whole hull now. Best regards.

José.
 _GOTOTOP