_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quad Gun Tractor
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
Here's pics of my Quad Gun Tractor.

More pics here.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
That is one REALLY weathered truck. Is that the Tamiya or Italeri kit? I'm bidding on the Tamiya kit, along with the 25 pounder, even as we speak.

Nice job on it.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 08:41 AM UTC
It's Tamiya, but the cheap one, that didn't come with the 25lb. gun. I got this cheap with some other kits I got off of a guy.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
Neat paint scheme, what type is it (theater)?
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Looks pretty good. I like the camo
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Neat paint scheme, what type is it (theater)?

I've seen that referred to as the Mickey Mouse scheme. Raelly! I think it's a North Africa scheme.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:52 AM UTC
cfbush2000 is correct. The British usually had a mustard yellow background with black or dark green “Mickey Mouse” ear pattern camo and the Canadians usually just had plain mustard yellow overall. I've also seen models of these painted with green replacing the yellow. This one was used in North Africa, and I've placed it in a dio "The Well In Hell".
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
Now that's one Quad that’s seen the sun. How was it to build? I built one of these in 1/72 (Airfix I think) a very long time ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recently saw one with a 25 pounder in 1/35 (Revell if I remember correct).

Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
Nicely done! How did you paint the Mickey Mouse camo? Any problems with the build?

I'm currently building this kit myself. I came with the 25 pounder and limber. The molds are showing their age. My kit had some flash and some mold shift lines.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
I'm practically a noob at creating models. This was my 3rd military model believe it, or not. It was very easy to put together I thought. I'm not sure how accurate the kit is to the real thing, but building it straight OOB was fun. As for the Mickey Mouse pattern, there's a trick...
Don't drink coffee, cokes, or caffeine products of any kind and paint it by hand #:-) I just took a #000 brush or something similar and painted the outer circles and worked my way inward filling in. The trick to painting or drawing circles is to rotate the wrists. Painting circles is a lot easier than drawing it. It's really not as hard as one might think. I’ve heard people say that you need to make a template and blah, blah, blah, but painting this by hand is probably the easiest and most fun. I’m just curious what other British vehicles had this camo and how common it was. Anyone know?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’m just curious what other British vehicles had this camo and how common it was. Anyone know?

In Squadron's D-Day to Berlin , this scheme was represented on several wheeled vehicles, but I don't remember seeing it displayed on tracked vehicles. The philosophy behind it was to break up the outline by bringing the shadows up from the ground, IIRC.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:05 PM UTC
Maybe I'll try the template route. I drink too much coffee everyday hehe #:-)

It is a fun OOB build. I couldn't resist replacing tiedowns with thin wire. I might also upgrade the suspension with more wire.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:50 PM UTC
this patteren was used from Nth africa, italy,and Nw europe with different colours,
in nwe it was used with a o/d background afv clubs achillies depicts this
oh and try and find the italeri chevy quad tractor this looks much better and costs the same price really looks like a great kit to build
 _GOTOTOP