_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
whitewash
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2002 - 01:30 PM UTC
whats the best way to do whitewash for winter camo?
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 04:07 AM UTC
come on guys i want an answer on this one.Got it mind to do a sherman in winter clobber
cheers
arthur
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 04:20 AM UTC
Judging by the time of this post, I some how missed this it, hmmmm. No matter.
I just did a Sherman with a winter white wash.
For it I used white pastel chaulk. I rub it on fine sand paper to get the dust, than simply mixed it with water to get a milk-like consistancey. Just paint it on with a brush. After it dries - an hour or two, I used a semi stiff brush to remove the dustiness of the dried chaulk. By doing this the white wash will appear weathered. If it's not white enough, just repeat the above till you get the desired whiteness.
Arthur
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC
Ken.....when you use the pastel chalk,how do you fix it.
Cheers
Arthur
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 03:34 AM UTC
If you mean "how do I fix it to the model" I use a light spray of flat clear - very lightly and slowly, otherwise you could almost wash it off.
Arthur
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 05:13 AM UTC
thanks Ken,thats what i meant.
Arthur
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 03:11 PM UTC
Just a thought, I have a Stug III auf A I would also like to paint in whitewash. Would a thin spray of very thinned white from air brush do the trick as well?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a thought, I have a Stug III auf A I would also like to paint in whitewash. Would a thin spray of very thinned white from air brush do the trick as well?

It sure would. Just apply it very sparingly and slowly - a couple of layers.
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
I learned how to do my winter whitewash from Chris Mrosko. I will first apply the appropriate base coat (i.e. three tone german camo). After this has set, you then will lightly spray white over the base coat, letting the base coat show through in some places. After this has dried for a few minutes, you then take a wide #4 sable brush and apply thinner over a section, letting it soke through the overspray. Then using the #4 sable, gently but firmly remove some of the white starting from the edges. I recently finished a King Tiger using this method and it came out pretty good. With a little more practice, I should have it down pat!!! :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi Kencelot and Tiger1, Thanks for the replies. I would definitely try it on my Stug III. One more question, I suppose while I doing the spraying and use brush to remove the excess white, I must coat the camo with dull coat first to protect the original camo color, right?
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:20 AM UTC
this is such a popular subject i thought i would bring it back
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kencelot and Tiger1, Thanks for the replies. I would definitely try it on my Stug III. One more question, I suppose while I doing the spraying and use brush to remove the excess white, I must coat the camo with dull coat first to protect the original camo color, right?

Absolutely. If you gloss cote - then you'll get smoother streaking. A dull cote will give you a more blotchy result. Both are nice - depends on what you want to do in the end - but you should always protect the base color with a clear coat.

(I wanted to help sourkraut bring back this thread too )

Gunnie
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 12:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Absolutely. If you gloss cote - then you'll get smoother streaking. A dull cote will give you a more blotchy result. Both are nice - depends on what you want to do in the end - but you should always protect the base color with a clear coat.

Gunnie

Thanks Gunnie, and also sourkraut for bring this thread back.... :-)

I think I read it from somewhere, can't remember where though, for a grey German AFV with white wash, I can also first spray the model in over all gray, then spray it white, then spray gray at the edges and worn area...have any of you tried this before? I think you must have very good control of the airbrush to pull it off....

I have a couple more questions like to ask:

1. washes and drybrushes, do I do it prior to the whitewash process, or afterwards.
2. I suppose the on vehicle tools would also be whitewashed, (guess in the field, people will not do a detailed work to leave out the tools, they would just white wash the whole thing, right?), and I just need to drybrush some original color after the white coat to show wears, right?
3. How about chasis and wheels? do they get white wash treatment as well?
4. while I am at it, what's the best way to simulate caked snow on tracks and road wheels, I have baking sodas. would mixing with thinner and brushed on, achieve the effect?

Will appreciate all the answers from the experts. Thanks a lot in advance.

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Thanks Gunnie, and also sourkraut for bring this thread back.... :-)

I think I read it from somewhere, can't remember where though, for a grey German AFV with white wash, I can also first spray the model in over all gray, then spray it white, then spray gray at the edges and worn area...have any of you tried this before? I think you must have very good control of the airbrush to pull it off....

I have a couple more questions like to ask:

1. washes and drybrushes, do I do it prior to the whitewash process, or afterwards.
2. I suppose the on vehicle tools would also be whitewashed, (guess in the field, people will not do a detailed work to leave out the tools, they would just white wash the whole thing, right?), and I just need to drybrush some original color after the white coat to show wears, right?
3. How about chasis and wheels? do they get white wash treatment as well?
4. while I am at it, what's the best way to simulate caked snow on tracks and road wheels, I have baking sodas. would mixing with thinner and brushed on, achieve the effect?

Will appreciate all the answers from the experts. Thanks a lot in advance.

i would say that the wheels would be washed also,but would have heavy wear.i also like the idea of the baking powder,let me know how it turns out
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC
ive heard a lot of good ideas in this thread, if a combination of techniques were used.
i wonder how that would turn out
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:13 AM UTC
...............if you are honest, you never have to whitewash anything................... :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...............if you are honest, you never have to whitewash anything................... :-)

......careful Pak, you're beginning to sound a little 'CaptainJack' there.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

some dont want to be seen
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am honest, it's my StuG III that is not, so it needs a white wash.... #:-)
 _GOTOTOP