_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Aires VT-34 conversion WIP
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 01:36 AM UTC
Just started this one two weeks ago.

It is the Aires VT-34 conversion for the Tamiya T-34/76. I actually decided to use a Dragon hull I had, since it has a bit more detailed, and use
the Tamiya as a donor kit for any parts that are missing. Using the walkaround posted on Prime Portal, I've added some other details using styrene, resin,
and other bits and pieces I had lying around.

Sorry for the lousy pics. Still a loooong way to go on this one, as its destined for a very small display dio.

All comments welcome.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
Looks good so far. Is it a postwar conversion of the T-34 or did it see service in WW2?
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 04:10 AM UTC
Very nice model and a very good start with the conversion! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this and will follow your build log closely
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good so far. Is it a postwar conversion of the T-34 or did it see service in WW2?

Well I'm basing some work on the pics on PrimePortal, which are post-war pics. However, I'm not a fan of 'clean' looking models, so this one will definitely have a base and some appropriate weathering.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:29 PM UTC
Neat build, thanks for sharing.

Is that rear plate from the AIRES conversion? It has a rectangular access hatch like model 1940/1941 T34s, I would have expected a circular one.

Cheers,

Christophe
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a Czechoslovlak post-WW2 vehicle.

Cheers,

Christophe
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Neat build, thanks for sharing.

Is that rear plate from the AIRES conversion? It has a rectangular access hatch like model 1940/1941 T34s, I would have expected a circular one.

Cheers,

Christophe

You are correct in your expectation that it should be based on a T-34 hull with a circular rear panel access hatch. Unfortunately, my donor kit was trashed in that area, and I did not have a replacement, forcing me to go with this, incorrect, rectangular access hatch.
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC
Quick update to this one. I've finished the right-hand side stowage bin, and lifted it off the fender, as I've seen in the reference photos. A
ditching beam is mounted to both fenders on either side of the vehicle, and this detail is not included in the Aires kit. Mounted spade and finished
cabling for it. A couple more details to be added to either side of the hull, then its on to constructing the base. The plan is to have this vehicle mounted
on top of a partial T-34 hull that's half buried and rusted away. Also, after taking the pics, I noticed the mis-mounted louvre over the engine bay, and
have corrected that.

Any suggestions?

zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:45 PM UTC
Got some time at the bench and finished the right-hand side of the Hull. The towing beam is scratch built, since the kit comes supplied only with
one, but references show one on either side of the hull. Only thing that is missing is a small chain to hold the two large pulley wheels in place, and
the pins to hold the towing beams, but due to difficulty of painting, those will go on after basecoat is applied.

drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC
This is a great build so far and thanks for sharing! The great close ups are total aces! I am gonna follow this as I have three Vt-34s in three different scales (1/35, 1/48, and in 1/72) on my bench. By far one of the coolest looking ARVs out there!
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
Ok, here she is, primed, with the base construction completed.

zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 09:14 AM UTC
Brief update, spent the last couple of days practicing with the new airbrush, and applied the basecoats to everything. The VT-34
was first preshaded, basecoated, postshaded, then dusted with the same colour as the groundwork, localized to the lower hull. The base wreckage
is various shades of rust, dark reds, and red-browns.

Now onto some very lengthy hand-painting steps, but the ones that are going to start bringing this to life.

zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC
Just a brief update. This is the model as it stands now, and is nearing completion.
After airbrushing the basecoat, the model was slightly chipped, then oil dot filters applied. Further filters and washes were applied, and some
localized weathering on the hull-mounted equipment. At this point, I need to clean up some of the washes, refine the paint chipping, apply some
slight scratches, and complete weathering on the spade.

If you see anything off, please point it out.

zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 05:17 AM UTC
Well, here it is, all finished up. I have to figure out a better photography setup, as I just can't get the results to look like what I want them to.
The one thing I noticed last night when mounting it all is that the tank is 'floating' a bit over the terrain, so I'll see if there's some way to fix that up.

All comments welcome.

goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:21 PM UTC
Nice build . I think the weathering / rust , etc look just fine . I think you could have made the base a bit larger , too much tank overhanging the edge , but that's just my opinion. If all tow truck / tank drivers looked like that , you couldn't keep me out of the ditch ...
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback, and I think you are correct, it would have looked nicer with no overhang. It looked better in my mind when I was making it

Taking it into the next build.
 _GOTOTOP