_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dragon Sd.Kfz.7 8t Halftrack Early Production
chazsmith
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Guys:

Hi! I just saw an announcement for the new 8 ton halftrack kit from Dragon and have a general question about the vehicle. Neither kit seems to have the folded down top that is shown on the kit's cover, did they come without the top or does Dragon keep repeating the same mistake? I have the initial kit already but haven't built it since I can't find any aftermarket parts for the top. Is it OK to build it without it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Charlie
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi, Charlie, I'm not sure what "mistake" you mean. The kit has a fold-down top if I'm not mistaken. One of the Asian resin makers has a set that includes a top and side curtains, as well as a bunch of stuff for piling up.
Grip84
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 01:48 PM UTC
The Dragon 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 7 Initial Version (6466) does not come with any parts for the top, folded or otherwise, and neither does the latest release, Early Version w/ Riders (6545). A bit of a disappointment as the box art for both kits show the gear for the folded top attached to the vehicle.

I've not seen any photos of the real early Sd.Kfz. 7 personnel transport without the top, up or folded, so it should have been included. I've been on the lookout for an aftermarket solution but must have missed the one you're referencing, Bill. Do you recall the brand?

Scott
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 01:46 AM UTC
Damn, I don't know how I missed that. I shall have to amend my review of the Dragon kit. The OOB builder will be seriously inconvenienced by the missing tarp.

I checked the Luckymodel site, and manufacturer was Neograde. Apparently the set is now OOP and isn't even shown as "available." Scratching a top even in the retracted position will be challenging without the framing. Perhaps you could get the retracted frame from a Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.7 builder who's using the extended top that comes with that kit?
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 02:13 AM UTC
What surprises me is that even Griffon, with all of their extensive AM sets for the various Sdkfz 7s (although not sure whether they have one for the personnel carrier) did not include that. I have to say that I have also never seen a picture of any Sdkfz 7 without the gear.

Rob
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 02:27 AM UTC
Unless you're building a very pre-war model, these ALL had rag tops.

I can sympathize with Dragon, because it's VERY hard to replicate canvas and other fabric at rest.

This is one case where the Trumpeter kit trumps DML, since they provide both deployed and stowed tops.
chazsmith
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC
Guys:

Hi! Thanks for the follow-ups on my email. I have the Neograde update set for the kit but it doesn't include the top - lots of other goodies though. I too am surprised that no one has come out with a tarp or a folded town top to fix this problem. I've been trying to find an old Tamiya kit cheap and just use it for the folded town tarp but haven't been too sucessful. I'd try for the Trumpeter kit but they cost more than the Dragon kit so that's out too. Guess I'll keep it on the shelf till someone comes out with one.

Hey Bill, I just noticed that you are from New Jersey, I lived 53 years of my life in Central Jersey before moving out here to Ohio. I get back there a couple times a year and for Christmas. It's as crazy as ever! Ever go to Avenel Hobbies in Woodbridge? Really great "old time" Hobby shop with a great selection of models. Really miss it out here in Toledo!

Thanks
Charlie
chazsmith
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
[quote]Damn, I don't know how I missed that. I shall have to amend my review of the Dragon kit. The OOB builder will be seriously inconvenienced by the missing tarp.

Bill, I just read your review and you already have mentioned that the top is missing from the kit. You have it in the review body and as one of the disadvantages. I'm printing it off to put with my kit so that I have it when I finally get around to building it. The review will be of great help to me!

Charlie
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, I went back and changed it after you pointed it out. I was careful to check the instructions to make sure one of us hadn't overlooked something, but there's no top and it doesn't show in the painting guide, either.

It's still a great kit, but this will be a major bouger for the OOB builder who still wants accuracy. Where do you come up with a rag top?
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Neograde update set for the kit but it doesn't include the top - lots of other goodies though.

Sorry about that, Charlie. Like I said, Luckymodel doesn't even have it on their "available" list which leads me to think the item is permanently gone.

Quoted Text

I've been trying to find an old Tamiya kit cheap and just use it for the folded town tarp but haven't been too sucessful. I'd try for the Trumpeter kit but they cost more than the Dragon kit so that's out too. Guess I'll keep it on the shelf till someone comes out with one.

The Tamiya one is seriously deficient in detailing. Try posting something on the Buy-Sell-Trade forum and see if someone who's putting up the rag top will give or sell you the fold-down version.

Quoted Text

Hey Bill, I just noticed that you are from New Jersey, I lived 53 years of my life in Central Jersey before moving out here to Ohio. I get back there a couple times a year and for Christmas. It's as crazy as ever!

Hey, you gotta be careful cuz you might get hurt sayin' $%#& about Jersey....

Seriously, it's a crazy place in comparison to the laid-back Midwest.

Quoted Text

Ever go to Avenel Hobbies in Woodbridge? Really great "old time" Hobby shop with a great selection of models. Really miss it out here in Toledo!

Yes, often. Their kit prices are high in comparison to the Internet, and they don't stock much in some of the areas I'm interested in (1/32nd WW I aircraft), so mostly I buy supplies. But they're very nice and I enjoy going there.

In other Jersey LHS news, F&M Hobbies has a new owner and again, he seems very nice. That's a pleasant change.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
What about Voyager Model's "PE35362 WWII German Sd.Kfz.7 8t Half Track Early Version For DRAGON 6466" set ? It includes a "Resin collapsed tarp" :

HTH

Frenchy
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
Frenchy, you ALWAYS have the answers!

I just ordered two from Hobbyeasy to go with the two in my stash, as Luckymodel doesn't stock them. We'll see if they're really in-stock.
chazsmith
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Frenchy:

Hi! Thanks for the info on that update set, I"ll see if I can find it maybe the place Bill went to. Either way, it's good to know that someone has it available. I'll pass it onto my friend who also has one, maybe we can get a deal on shipping if we both order one at the same time.

Charlie
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe we can get a deal on shipping if we both order one at the same time.

Unlike Luckymodel (who does not yet carry this item), Hobbyeasy does not build the cost of "free" shipping into their prices, so ordering two will be slightly cheaper on transport than two ordered separately.

Which brings me to the question: why is Hobbyeasy shipping its stuff out of Singapore these days?
chazsmith
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 11:41 AM UTC
Bill:

Hi! Thanks for the info on Hobbyeasy. I went up and found the update which will be a lot cheaper than buying a Tamiya or Trumpeter kit to get the top. It says that it's for the early version, I guess that it will it work with the initial version too? Wish they took PayPal since I don't like putting my Mastercard online. Have to think about that. Is there anyplace in the US where I could get it? I've checked a couple of the vendors I usually go to but they don't have it.

Know what you mean about Avenel Hobbies. I only lived a couple minutes away so it was really convenient. I also worked there for awhile so I couldn't pass up stuff when it came in. One stop shopping for armor, got the kit, tracks, figures and other goodies all in one trip.

I have a couple WWI WNW kits, really nice! I'm basically an OTB armor builder but I'm currently giving the Junkers J1 a try. It's going really slow but it's good quality so hopefully I'll get it done someday. Will never see the light of day though, it's just for me. Might get a couple of the new ones they show as coming soon once they come out. Gotta keep away from the heavily rigged ones.

Thanks

Charlie
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:12 PM UTC
Charlie, I have ordered from Hobbyeasy and never had a problem. In fact, my two upgrades are listed as "shipped" on their website.

Initial and early are identical as far as I can say. The vehicle had slight modifications and variations depending on which factory it came from. Griffon Mode's resin radiator and one of the other Sd.Kfz.7 upgrades give you a choice between Kraus-Maffei and I believe Borgward. Unlike with their tanks, the Germans did not give the different Sd.Kfz.7s variant letters, and the "late" war is really just the changes that US bombing had on their industrial production: factories had to out-source parts & manufacturing, and the large fabricating metal presses were no longer generally available, so the later Sd.Kfz.7s have squared-off mud guards, flat beds and no storage lockers.

I don't know of a single US distributor who keeps Voyager upgrades regularly in-stock, so your best bet is Asia. And usually they're MUCH more expensive than ordering from overseas. I think the locals just realize they can't compete, and stock only the latest stuff. Then when it's gone, it's gone. Avenel is like that: if they don't have it, you're SOL. (and for our non-native English speakers, the letters stand for something you excrete, plus "out of" and "luck").
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for the heads up and that Voyager set Frenchy!! I went ahead and ordered one for the Sdkfz 7 I have in the stash.

Rob
chazsmith
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
Bill:

Just stumbled onto the PE set on Ebay doing a search on PE35362. Cost me a little more but it's coming from a location NY and I got to use the PayPal so I'm happy. Thanks again for all your time and help. I can send you the link to it if you are interested - he had 10 listed as available.

Charlie
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
I'm not, thanks, unless Armorama asks me to review the new kit, I've got two in my stash and don't need a third. But you could post the url here in case others would like the "safety" of using eBay. I say that because there have been a number of complaints here about that place, not because I think it's inherently unsafe.
chazsmith
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 12:59 PM UTC
Bill:

Hi! No problem posting the URL for the PE set. There were 8 still available when I copied this link for anyone looking for the folded down top. I've never done this before on a Forum posting so I hope it do it correctly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280525522969&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Again, thanks for all your help. Everyone that responded to my question are really great helping out. You guys are really great!

Charlie
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Thanks, Charlie.

FYI, that's about $10 more with shipping than buying it from Hobbyeasy (mine are in-transit as we speak).
 _GOTOTOP