_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Tamiya 1/16 German elite soldier
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:22 PM UTC
This was going to be my second figure for the recent figure campaign, but life got in the way. Tamiyas German elite soldier 1/16. Lovely kit, easy to put together and a nice subject. Second large figure and first with camo at this scale.
I painted the camo first, washed, drybrushed and then dull coted it. Camo was base; tamiya dark yellow, then lightened with buff and sprayed from the top, and darkened with earth and sprayed from the bottom. This would work OK on a plain uniform but mostly dissappeared over the rest of the stages. Camo colours were Humbrols dark green, earth and dark yellow. I oversprayed it with tamiya buff, heavily thinned. Then I painted flesh areas and belts(mixture of oils and humbrols). I was a little paranoid about getting a flat uniform, thats why I took it in ths order.Needs a few little touch-ups and small washes to finish and then base work.
The base was a small wooden base from a hobby shop, stained with thinned oils, I have a sheet of spackel cast to carve cobble stones in, wall and pillar is styrofoam (meat trays)frame and 5mm cork (from little tea coasters) cut into bricks, approx. 5 x 5 x 13 mm. First time I have used this and Im really impressed. Thanks to Carlos and Adam for the inspiration here!
Please feel free to comment and all opinions are appreciated!

PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:37 PM UTC
Plastic:
Great job washing out the camo color, that's probably one of the hardest things to do (besides flesh)
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:25 PM UTC
Frank:

This is a beautiful piece of work here.

As you noted in your narrative, this is a great looking figure, with a natural pose, but it's truly enhanced by what you have accomplished with your painting skills.

Flesh and facial features are very well done, very realistic and natural. The weapon, belt, grenade (potato mashers did they call these??), and belt accessories look solid! Can't say enough, just outstanding.

I remember your excellent Scud in the Cold War Cook Off Campaign, ----and you do figs too!!! :-) Wow---congrats this thing is just so well done. My respects sir!

ps: The cork bricks are neat---I've never heard of that one before :-) .

Steve

Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
Fantastic job....especially the camo. Very realistic. :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 04:00 PM UTC
Thanks very much for your kind words guys! I actually like this figure myself, and for the first time in a long time ......I havent been as critical to my own work! Im quite happy with the camo. Hoping to get the base finished in the next few days and finish this off. I´ll post some more pics then.
Wewillhold. I spent so much time trying to build buildings from styrofoam and then scribing, but Im in love with this cork method. Very realistic results. Hopefully I can get it painted up nicely now! Cheers
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 09:27 PM UTC
Very nice. I'm working on a 101 screaming eagle in Normandy...but I have a lot of work to do
regards
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC
Very nice job. I love the facial expression. 1 question, How thick is the cork sheet?
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi plasticbattle,
I relly like the job you've done on this guy. I think it looks great all over.
And I especially like the brick work too.
I'm looking forward to seeing more figures from you.
Thanks for posting these
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
Just finished off the base for this figure. Cobblestones is a flat piece of spackel, scribed. The wall is built with styrofoam and then cork bricks glued all around with medium temperature hot-glue. The cork comes from coasters for serving hot drinks on good furniture ........ only source I could find. The railings are made from plastic rod and flat lengths. The spikes are squares of the flat cut diagonally. The high spike is changed to conform with the rest. Base is masked ready for spraying!

User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:59 PM UTC
Frank,

Väldigt fin figur! Du har verkligen lyckats med kamoflaget.

Du har gjort muren bra, men det ser ut som om staketet behöver en "Wash" för att passa in med muren.
 _GOTOTOP