New build Option for M1A1 Fans
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:41 PM UTC
Hello All,

I've been working in Iraq on the Iraqi M1A1 Tank program and here are some pictures from the first deliveries. I will post some more when I get a chance. Enjoy.

Tanks
Andy
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:47 PM UTC
I'm not too sure about how I feel about Iraq possessing M1A1's. Is the vehicle the same spec as those used by the US Army?
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not too sure about how I feel about Iraq possessing M1A1's. Is the vehicle the same spec as those used by the US Army?

Without getting into the weeds, somethings will be the same and some won't. Those of you that are in the Know, Know what I'm talking about. I will post some more pictures when I get the chance.

Tanks
Andy
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
Interesting. Any idea what the Iraqi paint scheme and markings will look like? (I assume they'll have more than just a flag decal...)

As for leaking US technology, I suppose we can take comfort that the truly powerful weapons of complete air superiority, all-arms support, and a well-trained US crew don't come as standard! Still, I'm sure there will be a Tamiya release as soon as the Iraqi army standardises its own personal touches.

Tom
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting. Any idea what the Iraqi paint scheme and markings will look like? (I assume they'll have more than just a flag decal...)

As for leaking US technology, I suppose we can take comfort that the truly powerful weapons of complete air superiority, all-arms support, and a well-trained US crew don't come as standard! Still, I'm sure there will be a Tamiya release as soon as the Iraqi army standardises its own personal touches.

Tom

Tom,
That's how they ordered them. Now that's not to say that they won't paint that crazy green hanpainted pattern that they use on there humvee's or BMP's. Except for the strait tan version of things I haven't seen two identically painted Iraqi vehicles yet. I know there are going to be some additional Arabic stencils applied once they approve them.

Tanks
Andy
mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:23 AM UTC
An idea if they will mount the M2HB and M240 as MGs?
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

An idea if they will mount the M2HB and M240 as MGs?

Yes, the purchased the M2 and the M240's..

Tanks
Andy
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
The Soviets were good about selling the Iraqis tanks with no radio mounts in 'em or NBC protection systems in 'em.

A lot of countries strip down their export versions: Us, the Brits, French, Germans...you name it. Nobody wants to have to light up their own stuff!

When I was a young man, I remember reading a report about how one of the Warsaw Pact countries got some APCs from Mother Russia and went right into an NBC exercise. The thing to keep in mind is that the WP countries see NBC weapons as just another tool in the box. They used to use (and may still use) LIVE nerve agent and not tear gas the way we do here in the Land of the Big PX. In this particular exercise they lost a company's worth of folks out of a motor rifle battalion (roughly 25%) because their shiny new APCs didn't have NBC protection. I guess they assumed the Sovs included them...so nobody checked.

MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
Sounds like a Fairy Tale. Outta here, Mike sends . . .
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:10 PM UTC
Put on the hip waders. Urban myth.
 _GOTOTOP