_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
More AFV Tracks from AFV Club
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
Here''s an update on a Report we ran a few days ago with more images of another useful Track Set from AFV Club - AF35179 - German 40cm steel track. Images of the Set can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:11 PM UTC
these look nice Jim, i just have to questions about them:
1 shouldn't they have hollow guide horns? i ask this because i've seen Tristars late version tracks and they have hollow guide horns.
2 would these tracks be suitable for a Panzer IV ausf D?
thanks again for the heads up on these Ant.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC
Goods News . I would love to find suitable Realistic / Easier to assemble tracks form my Tamiya Panzer III,L and for my Dragon, Panzer IV,G. if these would work for those kits. milvehfan
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

these look nice Jim, i just have to questions about them:
1 shouldn't they have hollow guide horns? i ask this because i've seen Tristars late version tracks and they have hollow guide horns.
2 would these tracks be suitable for a Panzer IV ausf D?
thanks again for the heads up on these Ant.

Ant,

There are many different types of Pz III/IV 40cm tracks that were used. The design that AFV Club is representing here are correct as type that was used after (but also parallel due to first-in-first-out depot supply/manufacture rules) the standard 40cm with open guide horns. The whole "early", "mid", or "late" types of designations are modeler-conventions and don't apply in the usual sense here for these types of tracks. Not uncommon to see reference photos of vehicles in the same unit (or even the same vehicle!) with both open and solid guide-horn tracks in use, particulalry when it comes to spare runs on the vehicles vs. the full runs in use. They were interchangeable. The solid guide horns started to appear in 1943 as a frame of reference so that should answer your 2nd question around using them on a IV-D as highly unlikely. HTH!
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 09:44 PM UTC
thanks Bill i'll be definately ordering a set of these now to use on my rebuilt Pz IV D
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 09:56 PM UTC
I don't really do WW II German anymore, but I still have an old Tristar Pz IV Ausf C in my stash which I have to build sometime. Are these tracks appropriate for it?

Hisham
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't really do WW II German anymore, but I still have an old Tristar Pz IV Ausf C in my stash which I have to build sometime. Are these tracks appropriate for it?

If they're too late for the Ausf.D, they're certainly too late for the Ausf.C.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't really do WW II German anymore, but I still have an old Tristar Pz IV Ausf C in my stash which I have to build sometime. Are these tracks appropriate for it?Hisham

No, not really. As Bill wrote in a previous post "The solid guide horns started to appear in 1943 as a frame of reference so that should answer your 2nd question around using them on a IV-D as highly unlikely", so if they don´t work for a D, they´re not going to work for a C either. Tristar have indy links (although not workable) that are quite nice and go together well ... and have the proper hollow teeth ... already in the box.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 10:55 PM UTC
Thanks for your help, guys! Like they sometimes say in my country "Ignorance is bliss"

Frank.. I know that the Tristar tracks are very good, it's just that I'm not vey good at working with regular link tracks which is why I usually look for workable tracks.. or clickable like Masterclub's tracks.

Hisham
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hisham

No, they are too wide. These are 40 cm tracks suitable for 1943 onward. The C used the 38 cm wide tracks (36 cm not counting the track pins), and as originally equipped, these had the low center guide teeth (the Tristar kit includes the taller center guides introduced for the Ausf. D, though of course, these were available as replacements for C models from 1940 on). Early tanks could be rebuilt with a spacer ring on the drive sprockets to use the wider track, but that probably wasn't done on the C models, which had dangerously thin armor, and were withdrawn pretty early.
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 08:07 PM UTC
Would these be the correct tracks for a panzer iv F2? Im considering buying the Italeri F1/F2/G and will upgrade it with AM tracks...
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:54 PM UTC
Never say never but............

These would have appeared with the Pz IV G and been on most Pz IV H's. The F2 predates 1943 by about a year.

Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thanks Agent G. I'll look elsewhere then.
 _GOTOTOP