Hosted by Darren Baker
Great for scratchbuilding!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
Duplicate Post, but thought it would be of interest in this area as well....

We just became dealers for Balsa Foam (see photo below)... the stuff I use by the truckload to create all the masters for the molds and kits we sell. This stuff "carves, shaves, and sands like chalk, but doesn't burn, chip, or flake. We have to order the stuff by the case to get dealer pricing so I often have more than I need at any given time. While I have access to any of the standard sizes and densities, I normall stock the 3 most popular sizes.

- 9 x 6 in by 1/2,
-9 x 6 in by 1 inch,
-9 x 6 in by 2 inch thicknesses.

It is sold by the sheet, and prices run around $6-8 per sheet. This stuff is FANTASTIC and you will fall in love with it... forget styofoam, insulation, and other stuff we have discussed ni this forum.... you HAVE to try this stuff! It paints and glues like plaster, is far more sturdy than styrofoam or foamcore, has a GREAT superfine texture, and doesn't disolve with oil, resin, lacquer, or other materials... and no - it is not toxic (although the ultra-fine dust can be a real mess and it will cause xacto blades and other metal to rust if not cleaned within 24 hours!)

Film studios use it to create miniatures (think "StarWars"), architects use it to make scale buildings, and car companies and manufacturing plants use it to create mockups... look on our website soon for more information, or email me at [email protected] if you want more information. Be glad to send you a PDF file that shows examples and "how to" lesson.

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:26 PM UTC
Several folks have asked for the PDF... it will be added to the website later this week... just click my banner below to view.
 _GOTOTOP