_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
m50 help
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 12:27 PM UTC
I have done a fair bit of research in the last few weeks in regards to the m50 and i have one question which i was hoping could be confirmed. The rear decks appear to be all the m4a1 style engine deck is this correct or were the other engine decks in use. I have looked at Tom Gannons book as well as Robert Mansherobs as well and have noted that all the m50's seem to have this deck'. Please help TIA
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC
If the Cummins engine update had been done, that engine deck would be installed, noticeably different from the M4A1 deck. Many M50s were converted from M4A4 hulls with radial engines, the so-called M4T, and would have an air intake similar to the -A1 but adapted to fit the -A4. The only real difference here that I can tell is that the intake cover was from flat plate, not cast like the -A1. The twin air cleaners under the rear hull overhang would also be fitted.
Here's another thing I have noticed: it seems that the Cummins swap was done on the -A4 hulls first, and possibly only on -A4 based M50s. M50s built on -A1 hulls were converted to M51s, and there are pics out there (Gannon's book comes to mind) of M51s with the A1 deck and radial engine, on M4A1 hulls with -E8 suspension.
I think if I were doing the M50 on the -A4 hull, I would do the Cummins deck, and if I were using an -A1 hull, the radial engine deck.
Also important is the time period vehicle you wish to model, yet another variable.
Of course this could all be hog wash, but it's the best I've got......
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have done a fair bit of research in the last few weeks in regards to the m50 and i have one question which i was hoping could be confirmed. The rear decks appear to be all the m4a1 style engine deck is this correct or were the other engine decks in use. I have looked at Tom Gannons book as well as Robert Mansherobs as well and have noted that all the m50's seem to have this deck'. Please help TIA

Postwar users liked to standardize second-hand Shermans to simplify maintenance and supply. Nobody liked the Chrysler multibank engine of the M4A4, as it was cobbled together from five straight-six automobile engines, totaling thirty cylinders, and was a nuisance to maintain. In the 1950's, Egypt re-engined their M4A4 tanks with the GM twin diesels of the M4A2, while Israel's Defense Force opted to re-engine their tanks with the Wright Continental engine of the original M4 and M4A1. By the 1960's, Israel had opted for a Cummins diesel engine instead, though it took time to convert all of the IDF's Shermans. Between the 1967 and 1973 wars, the Israelis redesigned the Cummins engine deck slightly, and stowage was also slightly revised. Gannon's book covers this in detail.
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thank you for the replies guys i appreciate them. I have noticed different styles of hatchs on the m50 depeding on time frame. From what i have seen in Toms book as well as Robs book, the very early m50 on either the m4a4 hull or the m4a1 hull both with v vss suspension had the a1 engine deck or this deck

it was also seen (more commenly) with this style of m4 engine deck supposedly from the 105mm howitzer

and both had a gun cradle mounted to the rear of the engine deck

the next transition was the cummins deck on either the m4a4 or m4a1 hull but with hvss suspension as you have said which is this one

then finally this version of the cummins engine deck

Im sorry for the pictures they can explain it better than i can am i correct so far

I know the m51 was only based on the m4a1 hull with hvss suspension and i know there were four different configurations depending on the time frame so im not worried there. I also know the m1 supersherman was based on the m4a1 hull with either vvss or hvss suspension but primarily used the engine deck in the second photo as its configuration.

Lastly i have also gathered, from the photo's in Toms book that alot of the shermans in use BEFORE the m50/51 program also used the same engine deck in the second photo even if they were m4a4 or m4a3

Sorry if that apears all over the place im just trying to get references together to keep in a list or pile so that when i model i can just go yes this is what i need TIA
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:21 AM UTC
This is the deck from the M50 in Olds, AB. M4A4 hull I believe, but not sure what engine it ended up with. I have lots more photos if needed.

Jim

LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Jim thank you for ther picture appreciated mate. It is a cummins engine deck looking at the picture it also has the hvss suspension from memory
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 11:22 AM UTC
I'm late, maybe too late, but I can at least tell you that this is the final version of the Cummins deck. It is post 1975, so it is limited in its scope for a combat version. Both the South Lebanon Army and the Phalangist militias received this version. Remove the top exhaust, leaving a flat plain center piece, replace the lower exhaust, basically the left side M4A3 type and you have 1973 version. This one is based on the M4A4 hull. To do 1967, see above, but replace the louvered lid with a flat plate.

The M50 was converted from all major hull types, while the M51 was done only the large hatch version s of the M4A1 and M4A3. Photos from 1956 show M4A4Ts, M4 composites, 47-degree hull M4s and both small and large hatch M4A1s. Eventually, they added M4A2s, small hatch welded and early cast hood, 47-degree hulls and small hatch M4s. There were even M4s and M4A4s with direct vision hoods.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP