Ace s.IG.33 WIP
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
Hi Folks,

I have been building the Ace s.IG.33 with added detail, it is basically a good kit, but needs some extra detailing to bring out the best in it. I used rivets from the floor pan of a Dragon Stug IV to detail the gun-shield and added the ranging pole supports from styrene sheet. The U profile section under the barrel was also made from styrene sheet. The hand-wheels were from the Revell Nashorn and fitted perfectly, the barrel was from the RB range. I will probably paint it Panzer Grey as a change from my usual sand coloured subjects.

I look forward to your comments,

All the best,

Paul
daffyduck
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 02:14 PM UTC
Really nice Paul and at that scale......the gun barrel I will admit adds a lot to the detail.

Quite the drawing you got under the little gem I see, a Pz IV J late (I noticed the schuerzen screens)?

Paul
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Really nice Paul and at that scale......the gun barrel I will admit adds a lot to the detail.

Quite the drawing you got under the little gem I see, a Pz IV J late (I noticed the schuerzen screens)?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the kind comments, I agree that the barrel does finish it off. It wasn't too difficult to fit and is a fine piece of machining. Yes, I was doing a bit more on my Panzer IV and using the Trojca book 'Sd.Kfz. 161 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf G/H/J', excellent drawings and the whole book is excellent value.

All the best,

Paul
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi Paul

your work on this looks great, I have one of these unbuilt, I'll have to remember your post here, for reference on how to improve it

cheers
Neil
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 04:20 AM UTC
Having just built two sIG 33s in 1/35th scale, you have my sincerest admiration!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
Paul, impressive detail that you have added to your build. I've always had a soft spot for small scale artillery and this is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jan
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul

your work on this looks great, I have one of these unbuilt, I'll have to remember your post here, for reference on how to improve it

cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,
Thanks for the comments, if you want to improve the kit here is a link that I found invaluable for sorting out the detail and how the gun works.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/german/sig33/sig33.htm

Hope this is useful, all the best,

Paul
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having just built two sIG 33s in 1/35th scale, you have my sincerest admiration!

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments, I have a soft spot for this gun. I don't know what it is, but it looks the business. I know it wasn't the best design in the world, but that is not to detract from it in any way.

All the best,

Paul
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, impressive detail that you have added to your build. I've always had a soft spot for small scale artillery and this is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan,

I am tempted to get some more artillery, I have been looking towards the Ace 10.5cm leichte Feldhaubitze 18/40 (Drachenfels) as a future project. I wish more manufacturers made artillery pieces.

Thanks for the comments, all the best,

Paul
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

Following some constructive comments from fellow modellers Jörg and Mike, I decided to modify the kit tyres to create a more prototypical appearance. I sanded the bevel until it was level and then added microstrip to produce the tyres with a gap down the middle. I am pleased with the results and feel that the model has benefited from this modification, I hope you all agree.

Here is the modified model:

And after undercoat:

I shall be painting the gun later this week, I will post the finished result then.

All the best,

Paul
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 09:34 AM UTC
Looking good, Paul. After seeing what you've done to this gun I wonder what you could accomplish with the old Airfix 5.5" howitzer.

Cheers,
Jan
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good, Paul. After seeing what you've done to this gun I wonder what you could accomplish with the old Airfix 5.5" howitzer.

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan,

The last time I built that kit was back in 1966! When I get around to doing Allied I will give it a go (even though it is in 1/76), but that won't be for a while.

All the best,

Paul
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it wasn't the best design in the world, but that is not to detract from it in any way.

Not sure what you mean. It was produced throughout the war and was towed by horses & halftracks, as well as being mounted on several outmoded tracked chassis. Seems like a winner by my estimation.

The only comparable design that would seem to match this would be the American 105mm which was 2/3 the throw weight. Among the Brit guns, I guess the 25 pounder would be a good comparison. What would make either that much superior to the sIG 33?
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure what you mean. It was produced throughout the war and was towed by horses & halftracks, as well as being mounted on several outmoded tracked chassis. Seems like a winner by my estimation.

The only comparable design that would seem to match this would be the American 105mm which was 2/3 the throw weight. Among the Brit guns, I guess the 25 pounder would be a good comparison. What would make either that much superior to the sIG 33?

Hi Bill,

I was referring to the fact that the actual gun was not in any way innovative and had no special features that made it stand out from some other designs. It was the largest weapon ever classified as an infantry gun by any nation, being rather heavy it was not as easy to manouvre as other infantry guns. The comparison with the M2 Howitzer and the Ordinance QF 25pdr are not comparing like with like. Admittedly the sIG threw a heavier shell (63lbs), but its range was far less than the other two weapons. The 25pdr has been considered the best field gun of WWII and continued in service with the British Army until the late 60's, as did the M2 in the American Army. I still like the beast though and it looks the part, I am sure there are many veterans (both British and American) who would attest to the lethality of this weapon.

All the best,

Paul
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 04:16 AM UTC
Thanks for clarifying that, Paul. I think the wide variety of ammo the gun could fire (HE, AP, Stielgranate) make it a very effective weapon. No, not innovative, the German artillery for the most is very old-fashioned and for the most part harkening back the First World War (with a few exceptions like the double-recoil dampening chassis and of course, the 88mm).
BWP
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I know it wasn't the best design in the world, but that is not to detract from it in any way.

The sIG 33 was far too large for its intended role as an infantry gun, which by definition needs to be relatively mobile and able to be rapidly deployed near the front line. As a regular artillery piece its range was far too short. The gun only really showed any strength as a design when it was made mobile by mounting it on a vehicle chassis, starting with the Pz.I and onwards.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The sIG 33 was far too large for its intended role as an infantry gun, which by definition needs to be relatively mobile and able to be rapidly deployed near the front line.

Given when the gun was developed (1933), it's state-of-the-art. Mobile warfare was largely a theoretical concept in the early 1930s, and we know what the British military establishment thought of the idea (zilch). Even in the German military establishment, the concept of Bewegungskrieg ("mobile warfare," with the term Blitzkrieg coming only after-the-fact) was highly controversial.

If you look at German doctrine between the wars, they were anticipating re-fighting the Western Front against fixed French fortresses (the notion of attacking the Soviet Union wasn't even being seriously considered for a variety of reasons). The large punch and relatively short range of the sIG 33 would not be a drawback, and as we know, it was intended to be pulled by horses; even larger guns (e.g., the sFH18) were often deployed early in the war in combo mechanized and horse-drawn batteries.

Did the gun become outmoded by the advances in warfare? Yes. But I think its production right through to the end shows it served its needs. In some respects, it could be argued the concept of an infantry gun was a WWI idea that persisted even into later years, but which has been for the most part replaced by air power and mechanization. In other words, was the survival of the US 105mm into Vietnam proof of the gun's superiority as an artillery piece, or simply proof that the Army had a ton of them after WW II and continued making use of the technology because it didn't know that other measures were superior? It's an interesting question to me.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

Those are interesting points you raise. I have just finished reading the book 'The Siege of Kustrin', in which the defenders had several sIGs and felt the loss of them acutely, the sheer destructive power of the 63lb shell was a great asset and as we say here in the UK (after an advert for paint!) 'it does exactly what it says on the tin' , in other words it supported the infantry. I am off now to paint the wee beastie.

All the best,

Paul
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing the thing finished. When you're done, I recommend building the AFV Club 1/35th version reviewed by me here and see what you're missing down in braille scale.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

I don't do 1/35 usually, due to cost and space restrictions, but I might make an exception in this case. It would be a good excuse to do some of those nice Dragon figures in a mini diorama.

Cheers,

Paul
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
I must say that one has to absolutely love this forum and what goes on here. Paul, I see that you are somewhat new to Armorama but obviously not to modelling small scale. You and your work fit in well with some of the other Braille scale OCD types. I love these little guns and what you are doing is an inspiration. Keep up tha good work and thanks for sharing.

Regards,
AJ
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi AJ,

Yes, it can get a little intense in Braille Scale. I don' t know if it is because we feel that we have to prove to the 'big boys' that we can produce just as good stuff, or that we like ruining our eyesight trying to fit the smallest parts possible on a model. Whatever it is, as long as it is fun then you are doing it right. Thanks for the encouragement.

All the best,

Paul
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
I have just finished the first part of painting, the basing and weathering are next.

Here it is, for what its worth:

All the best,

Paul
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
Paul,

It's really a treat to see someone take something this small and detailing the heck out of it! Looking really good. And how's the eyesight doing? Do you have plans for placing this little gem on a dio?

-Eddy
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi Eddy,

I am going to use it as a wargames piece as there are a few areas I'm not happy with, however I do have another one to make and will learn from the experience with this one. I intend to put that one in a small dio with the Ace Unic half track, which is a lovely little model. Here is one I built earlier:

When I start the project I will post a build log for folks.

Thanks for the kind comments, the eyes are wearing out as we speak,

All the best,

Paul
 _GOTOTOP