_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Can you recommend a 2cm Flakveirling 38?
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hi there

I am finishing off my 1/16 King tiger and fancied a nice little modelling project to intersperse the litres of paint I am applying.

I would like to build a 1/35 2cm Flakveirling 38 and would like to use some PE upgrades, particularly for the shields and the guns.

There seems to be quite a range of options out there so I would like your opinion on which models and which PE sets you would recommend.

Thanks
Noel
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 03:17 AM UTC
Do you have soldering skills?

You'll need them.

I don't believe the AFV Club kit has any aftermarket aimed especially at it yet.

Use RB barrels L55s, a little pricey, but well worth it.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC
The Dragon kit is very good (the new one, not the older version), and Griffon Model has a ton of PE for the Sd.Kfz.7/1 version, which would translate well to the trailer-mounted, stand-alone version (see my reviews here, here and here).

The RB Model barrels are very good, but the Griffon ones are a superior value IMO.
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC
Thanks Bill and Kevin

I have read your reviews and am definately tempted by the Dragon / Griffon combo.

It would seem that my choice of model is between AFV (with no PE upgrades for the shields yet) or Dragon. The Tamiya version is rather old and does not look to have the quality of moulding of the newer kits and the trumpeter one seems to have many flaws.

Quick question re the shields. On your review the shields seem to be on the side rather than the front. Is this how they were folded away for transportation? Is it easy to have them facing forward?

I am actually thinking of building this gun not only for a nice little project right now, but also I might stick it on my next big project, the Italeri S-100 Schnellboot. I think I might have seen your comments on the huge Schnellboot build log on Modelshipwrights. Have you decided to get one of them?

Noel
 _GOTOTOP