_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New Osprey Book: Spanish Civil War
PadrePete
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 213 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:35 PM UTC
The tanks used during the Spanish Civil War are not often examined in any great detail, and are often labeled as little more than test vehicles in a convenient proving ground before World War II. But, with groundbreaking research, armor expert Steven J Zaloga has taken a fresh look at the tanks deployed in Spain.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hmmm. Thre's been a need for a long while on some decent coverage of Armor in the Spanish Civil War. However, it's an incredibly complex area so, i'm not convinved this was the format for it. From what I read of Osprey's blurb, Zaloga has (correctly) looked at the importance on the Civil War as a 'Test-Bed' for both vehicles and strategy.

The other problem, is that very few 'set-piece' tank battles took place - limiting the importance of tanks in the CW. Most of the vehicles used were lighter A/Cs in other ('police') actions.

I'm sure it will be useful, and as usual, i'm sure that Zaloga has done his normal painstaking research.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The "Spanish Journal of Military History" "EDITIONS QUIRON" distributes at least in Spain very good books with many pictures and photos, as well as explanations of great Spanish professionals.
Among others: " CARROS DE COMBATE Y VEHÍCULOS DE CADENAS DEL EJERCITO ESPAÑOL. UN SIGLO DE HISTORIA "or " BLINDADOS. LOS MEDIOS BLINDADOS DE RUEDAS EN ESPAÑA. UN SIGLO DE HISTORIA "

Absolutely! These are probably the best on the market.
Negrillo
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 11:59 AM UTC
Excellent book !
 _GOTOTOP