_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What to fit first Zimmerit or P.E.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hi all, Im about to build Tamiyas old Panther "A" I thought I might use it as a learnig curve as I have never tried P.E. or Zimmerit .Now the bit that confuses me is this,Im using Milliput for the Zim do I apply this first then put the P.E. and doo dats on or put them on first then mould the Zim around them,the panther has a lot of stuff hanging from it tool racks and spare tracks and Im worried the the zim will stop it all fitting correctly.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 03:04 AM UTC
When Ive used attak or cavalier resin zimmerit, I always place the zimmerit first and then add the etch. But these are designed so that the etch has location areas imprinted in the resin as well.
In reality, the fixtures for the tools were in place before the zimmerit was added, and theres many clear images where you see that zimmerit does not completely fill out all the small recesses in the tool fixtures. If I was in your shoes, I would add the fixtures ... frames, pipes etc. ... then add the zimmerit, then add the actual tools ... exactly how its done in reality. NOTE: Ive never made my own zimmerit so Im not speaking from experience.
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi John,

If you put on all the PE parts first, it will be very difficult to apply the Zimmerit (Milliput) coating without damaging the PE parts.

It is easier to do the Zimmerit coating first BUT you must mask off the area where PE is to be applied. You may use masking tapes and/or liquid mask to cover the non-zimmerit area.

Hope this help.

Regards
Paul
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 04:44 AM UTC
Thanks for that guys I guess its a mixture of both methods,I think i will attach the major things like racks and mask off the smaller areas
 _GOTOTOP