_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55AK
Mox1983
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 10:58 AM UTC
After many years away from the hobby, I've decided to start on my Skif T-55AK.
I plan to upgrade it heavily, but after doing tons of research, I've hit a few things I'm not 100% on. Would this have carried the DShK and/or KTD laser? Also, would the RMSh tracks have been fitted during the Model 1974 upgrade, and were they ever fitted without the side skirts etc.? This is all rather confusing and photographic evidence is somewhat ambiguous.

Thanks
Mike
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
Mike,
Good luck - you might need it with the SkiF kit. Dushka - yes. KTD- LRF yes. RmsH tracks yes with and without side skirts. But if the RmsH tracks are fitted it would have the appropriate sprocket (13 tooth). Are you famliar with the SkiF kits shortcomings? If youre a stickler for accuracy you should stop NOW!

Chris
Mox1983
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC
Chris,

I thought the 13 tooth sprocket was for the earlier OMSh tracks and 14 tooth for RMSh?

I know about the kit's shortcomings and will only be using the hull and turret, AM and scratch for the rest, though I did briefly consider using the vinyl tracks but chucked them after realizing how thin they are and how shallow the detail is.

Mike
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the 13 tooth sprocket was for the earlier OMSh tracks and 14 tooth for RMSh?

You are right, Chris is wrong. 13 for Omsh, 14 for Rmsh. Why are you bothering to sink a bunch of money into the Skif kit. It would be a lot easier to get a Tamiya kit and rework it.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 07:30 AM UTC
I have seen a couple of stellar builds using the SkiF kit, but in the end I think the only thing left form the original kit was the hull and the turret. In the end its your model so enjoy it either way.......

Chris

rjc_rbnj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
I'm also using the Skif kit. I don't know what happened to my post but I plan on removing all of "K" features from the T-55AK and use them on the ESCI T-55. I also have the Eduard PE set.

My question was should I use the stock ESCI tracks or the Master Club RMSh or OMSh tracks?

Also I was looking for some T-55AK pictures other than Soviet/Russian.

Rob
Mox1983
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 08:55 PM UTC
Rob,

Looks like your topics up now. I plan on using the Master Club RMSh, probably clickable. Good luck with your build.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and replies. The main reason I'm it this way is that I got the kit and most of the AM bits cheap when a local model shop closed down, hopefully it'll get me back into the swing of things and it won't be so bad if I make a pigs ear out of it.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP