KV-1 with panzer tracks WIP
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 04:37 PM UTC
Hi all

This is something different I'm currently working on.

A friend sent me this picture of a damaged KV-1 in german markings, fitted with german panzer tracks.

He said the photo description suggested it was a 'mobile bunker'. His view was that it most likely hit a mine which destroyed the track and idler wheel, and had the panzer tracks fitted to aid in recovering it. I tend to agree with his view.

Either way, it makes an interesting subject for a small scene.

I used a 1/72nd Trumpeter KV-1.

I have cut off the solid triangular mudguard supports and replaced with fine plastic strips and spare brass etch.

Cut off the front idler bracket and repositioned it so that it was angled forward, and drilled out the axle stub, as in the photo.

Cut the lid off the toolbox lid, and thinned the sides

Cut off the front section of mudguard and twisted and bent it so that it resembles the picture

Cut the small front portion off the oher mudguard

Drilled out the headlight.

Affixed spare Trumpeter tracks

Other than that its built "out of the box"

Its had a couple of spray coats of paint, still need to weather and dirty it, and make a small base for it. Don't know that I have an appropriate panzerman to go with it, I might have to use a soldat

pictures below, I'll post more as I progress.

cheers
Neil

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 06:51 PM UTC
This isn't the first Russian tank I've seen with German Panzer tracks on it, but it is the first configuration I've ever seen like this. I'm just starting braille scale myself and it's good to see projects like yours to help me see what can be done in this almost unhealthily small scale. You wouldn't by chance already be enlisted in the Killer KV campaign would you?
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy

welcome to Braille Scale

as you can see from my list of changes, nothing too major, too hard, or too time consuming with this one. I just need to finish the paintwork, weathering, etc, and the figure.

I don't check the Campaigns, but now I just did and I see there is a 'Killer KV' campaign in 2011. This model won't qualify as its already started, but I'll keep the campaign in mind for a future KV build

cheers
Neil
robertkru
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi Neil
excellent idea and well done. Now I have an idea what to do with my started KV1 from Italeri (with horrible tracks)
Regards from Vienna
Robert
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi Robert

thanks !

the idea was not mine, a friend (Ilian Filipov from Bulgaria), sent me the picture, he is always having good ideas.

If you like this KV version, please do yours the same

If you decide to build the KV and just need better KV tracks, I can send you the tracks that came with this Trumpeter kit, as I dont need them.

I just need to finish the paintjob, wash and weather it, and put it on a small base.

cheers
Neil
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jeremy

welcome to Braille Scale

as you can see from my list of changes, nothing too major, too hard, or too time consuming with this one. I just need to finish the paintwork, weathering, etc, and the figure.

I don't check the Campaigns, but now I just did and I see there is a 'Killer KV' campaign in 2011. This model won't qualify as its already started, but I'll keep the campaign in mind for a future KV build

cheers
Neil

Not bad at all for simple mods, makes things seem more achievable for me in this scale. Look forward to seeing this little beast weathered.
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
Neil, you really can find some cool and off the wall subjects. Looks extremely interesting and appears it will turn out great, like your other builds. Don't know how you can build so fast.

Regards,
AJ
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:46 PM UTC
thanks Jeremy and AJ for your comments

I have worked more on the finish of this one. Some of the fine mudguard brackets came off when I was working on the paint job, I'll need to replace them. Its not quite finished yet, but here are latest progress shots

cheers
Neil

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 07:32 PM UTC
Looking good Neil, were you planning on putting this in a vignette to replicate the photo?
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy

yes, I finally have the 'vignette' finished

It took a while longer, as I realised by studying the photo, that the toolbox was further back, there was a tow cable on the engine deck, and one of the engine deck access hatches was open.

So I had to do all those modifications

results are below,

cheers
Neil

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hello Neil,

Congratulations on this excellent small vignette.
Very nice and unusual subject. It's definately a winner.

P.A.
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi there!
What a great idea - It's always nice to see something a bit out of the ordenary.
Jacob
 _GOTOTOP