Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi all

here is another kit I'm working on

its the Military Wheels kit of the SG-122 soviet assault gun

This was an experimemental assault gun built on captured Stug III and Panzer III chassis by the russians. As many as 20 were built (maybe less), according to wartime soviet documents, and a set of wartime builders plans can be found on the web, but no known photos of this tank exist. The documents say it didnt perform well, the chassis being overloaded.

Here is my progress so far.

Its built all out of the box, but I added some anti-skid tread to the top of the mudguards, as in the kit these are smooth, which is not correct. I have left a lot of the small detail off the mudguards also, as these were built from captured vehicles, some of which were undoubtedly damaged, and maybe some or all had superfluous parts stripped from them anyway in the soviet workshops.

These kits need a lot of sanding of all pieces, and there were some fit issues of the box like superstructure, which required some filling with putty and sanding. I also made some metal lifting eyes and affixed them to the top of the superstructure, as per the box art (the kit doesnt come with these).

Its had three very thin coats of paint, but still needs more painting, washes, detailing, and a bit of weathering.

here is progress so far, I will post more as it progresses

cheers
Neil

robertkru
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi Neil
Looks good so far. You were more patient then me and used the original lower hull. Did you have problems with lenght of lower hull (to short) ?
I propose drilling the end of barrel or to replace it with piece of pipe.
I like your green shade too. Which colours you used?
Remember that the russian were lazy in finsihing vehicles and I guess no one had painted the tank on bottom or in hidden places -> a lot of options for panzergray or RAL 8000 braun areas on the vehicle.
Regards from Vienna
Robert
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hi Robert

thanks for looking and commenting

Quoted Text

You were more patient then me and used the original lower hull.

Your suggestion to replace the lower hull was a good. I didn't have a spare Trumpeter Stug to substitute, and my local hobby shop had none in stock either, otherwise I might have gone that way.

Quoted Text

Did you have problems with lenght of lower hull (to short) ?

The upper hull is a very poor fit onto the lower hull, I've had to sand the underneath of it to make it fit. I'm not sure if the rear is correct or not.

I've pasted a picture below, can you check and comment, I know you are a Stug Experten, I've seen the very knowledgable posts you have made about stugs in other places.

Quoted Text

I propose drilling the end of barrel or to replace it with piece of pipe.

in the third picture I have drilled it out, the photo angle is a bit too oblique to see it, however replacing it with pipe is a great idea, as the supplied gun barrel needed sanding and is still not perfectly round, I will see if I have a replacement in evergreen rod or brass rod.

Quoted Text

I like your green shade too. Which colours you used?

in the first picture it was sprayed with a very thin mix of Humbrol Matt 80. I thought this would be a bit too pale, even with extra coats. In the next picture it was sprayed with two light coats of Humbrol Matt 117. These are probably not exact colours, but with some washes and weathering and dust stil to be done, it will change the shade a little.

Quoted Text

Remember that the russian were lazy in finsihing vehicles and I guess no one had painted the tank on bottom or in hidden places -> a lot of options for panzergray or RAL 8000 braun areas on the vehicle.

I didn't think of that, it would make it very interesting. Maybe when I build their SU-76i I can do that, though I don't know if its right to use a Stug chassis on that one, I think maybeI need a Panzer III J chassis for that one...

cheers
Neil

robertkru
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi Neil you got my message on message board?
regards Robert
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi Robert

Sorry I didnt realise you had sent me a message, I dont log in when I visit the site, unless I'm going to post something.

I have now read and replied to your message

thanks greatly

I once saw a T-Shirt on sale in Vienna that said "There are no kangaroos in Austria"

cheers
Neil
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:50 PM UTC
Hi all

here are some more progress shots, its not quite finished yet, & thanks to Robert for his help with improving the rear of this kit

cheers
Neil

drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
This is really cool! gotta love wartime field conversions of war trophies!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 09:38 PM UTC
Neil,

That's an ugly and stubby looking vehicle! And its such an obscure subject to build. Seems that the Russians just used whatever they had on hand to mount a large caliber weapon on it. That box like structure and heavy looking gun have got to be over taxing both the suspension up front and the engine. And perhaps less than 20 of these were built? I've got to get my hands on one of these kits! The possibilities, the possibilities.

Neil your doing a great job and can't wait to see it finished. Will you be placing this one on a dio?

-Eddy
 _GOTOTOP