_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Building a database...
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:50 PM UTC
I do not know about you guys, but frequently, when thinking about what to build in the future, and what items are available, I am either overwhelmed by the stuff available, I miss some, or I have forgotten which manufacturer makes what. And this sometimes can lead to good, or bad surprises...

So, is it a good idea to create a database, accessible by all users divided by subject, and then type of item. So for example:

Model: M4 (mention base vehicle)

Kits: M4Awhatever 1 by Dragon and Tamiya
M4Awhatever 2 by Italeri...
etc.. in this category conversions would also be mentioned.

Photo-etch update:
M4Awhatever 1 by Aber and Eduard
M4Awhatever2 by Aber and Verlinden...
etc...

Various: This would include itemspecific decals, engines, stowage and the like

Tracks: ...

Info would be provided by the members of armorama...

I know this would be a huge project, and I might be a little too optimistic. I also know that, at least for the moment, I lack the knowledge to build a project like this.
But is the idea itself sensible or not ?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:27 PM UTC
Maybe very helpful though. Some modelers don't know what aftermarket parts are available so I think it's quite useful.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:36 AM UTC
I'm not trying to shoot your idea down, because the general idea is a good one.
One concern I would have with it is the sheer volume of information that would have to be maintained. New kits coming out, old kits being discontinued, old kits be re-release, etc.

A basic database of what you have or the ideas you have and what you want to do with the project is a great place to start (I am actually doing this for my own use). With each record you could store the AM stuff you have seen or want to use.
My idea is to use this basic idea as a 'tickler' file then let Google (Search Engine) handle the rest. If you put in the kit name or manufacturers information in Google you'll get a whole host of information.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:45 AM UTC
I've posted a link to a model database based on MS Office Access. I've posted this a couple of times since Armorama's been online, but since we have new folks joining all the time, it may be time to repost the information. Someone's wife from the IPMS Huntsville, Alabama did up the program. It is easy to use and free to download. Only downside is the initial data entry. No getting around having to type in all the pertinent information.

Here is the link: http://www.geocities.com/hpmsdbase/
Check it out to see if it suits your needs. Might be easier to work with this one than try to develop one on your own. Good luck.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey Rob,

This is a good little database. I took the basic design and created my own db. It has a whole bunch of reports and forms. It helps me keep up with my model inventory.

Quoted Text

One concern I would have with it is the sheer volume of information that would have to be maintained. New kits coming out, old kits being discontinued, old kits be re-release, etc.

I must agree with Scott on this one. The overhead and maintenence on this database would be enormous.
 _GOTOTOP