_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
1/72 model maker recommendations.
JokerNinjay
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi, I've been needing some recommendations on what company has good 1/72 kits as sometimes in this case for a braille campaign wanted to find a company who has some decent good looking kits out there. I've tried Revell's T-80 and really didn't care for the way it went together and such. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks. I'm also looking for a Valentine tank in this scale if that helps.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 06:33 PM UTC
If you're looking for braille scale armour, you should really check out On The Way! They are a great online resource for 1/72 armour modelers. The link I gave you should take you directly to their kit directory which features an excellent, although not fully comprehensive, selection of previews and reviews.

Revell is actually highly regarded for it's line of 1/72 armour kits. Some of them can be a bit of a challenge to assemble with the indy tracks and tiny parts they come with. The Revell T-80 kit is actually a rebox of another manufacturer's older kit from some time ago if I remember correctly. If you are interested in more modern armour, I believe the Revell Leclerc is supposed to be a nice model.

Dragon and Trumpeter also produce some nice kits in braille scale. If you want something that is a bit more simplified for building, then you could try one of the wargaming companies like HaT. The Japanese stuff is kind of hit and miss. I would stay away from the independents for the time being as their kits are often unpredictable in regards to fit and such things. I would definitely stay away from most of the Eastern European and Russian brands as well for somewhat similar reasons. The resin stuff on the other hand can be quite nice, especially from Czech manufacturers, but it comes a price.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 05:50 AM UTC
Jay,

I'll second what Jeremy has stated. Revell of Germany has some very good kits (M1A2 Abrams - 03143, Leopard 1A5 - 03115, or Cromwell Mk. IV - 03123), but they also have some older kits that are not so good.

ESCI made some very nice kits for the time (two decades ago), and fortunately Italeri has re-released some under their name. You can still get ESCI kits on E-bay.

DML's newer 1/72 scale kits are practically to 1/35 scale detail and parts count.

I look at On the Way! every day, but you also might want to look at Henki of Holland's website - it has a large listing of kits, scans of sprues and instructions for some kits. It's not really a review site like On the Way! is, but it's still a wealth of information.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 05:15 PM UTC
Thanks for mentioning Henk's site Jeff, it completely slipped my mind. A very good resource for braille scale armour fans

Those Dragon kits can be a handful for their scale. Some of the highest parts counts I've seen in 1/72 armour, and photo etch to boot! Of course kits like the Trumpeter FAMO are quite detailed with myriads of small parts as well. Just make sure you thoroughly check out what you're getting into via these online resources before you buy and you should be fine Jay.
JokerNinjay
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 07:08 PM UTC
All right thank you both very much, I just didn't quite know which company had some good braille scale as I was going to buy one for a campaign. I'll look into the sites and see what I can find, Thanks.
Sunray
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
Good afternoon Guys,

I have just spent some time on EBay looking for 1/72nd scale vehicles. I was surprised to find quite a few including some ‘odd balls’. Some of them are available from US sellers too. It might be worth your while to have a look and try searching the ‘All categories’ section. They are placed under several so that should find them. Quite a few were under the ‘Buy it Now’ banner.

Best of luck.

Gary Williams
MAFVA President

Membership Secretary
Back Issues
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC
Gary: Good stuff, thanks for the tip and I'm sure we'll be checking it out mate