_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tow Cables
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:13 AM UTC
Was routing thru my fishing tackle box looking for some snap swivles for my other hobby (model rockets), and as I didn't have any, I was looking at my steel leader and was wondering if they could be used as Tow Cables on 1/35 AFVs. At first I thought that maybe they weren't big enough.....then my curiosity is getting the better of me.....

What do you guys think? Supposed the steel fishing leaders are too thin for tow cables?
Easy and economical way for them....little weathering to make them look blended in to the AFV.
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
Scott
Sounds like a good idea. It would depend on the thickness of the leader and what vehicle you were going to use it on. It would also depend on the flexibility of the leader. I've used guitar spring in the past but it is very difficult to bend without damaging the model.
Cheers.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
While finishing my M728 CEV, I was faced with the dilemma of finding an adequate source for the large amount of cables that support the A-frame, as well as the missing regular tow cables and the winch cable on the back of the turret.

While wandering through a large craft store (Michael's) here in the Los Angeles area, I found candle wicking that was sold in a six foot length. The unusual feature was that there was a metal core inside the wicking, allowing it to be bent and hold the set angles. It also came in various thicknesses. I eye-balled the appropriate size for the A-frame cables and bought a package for about three dollars.

To my delight, it was the right size. The metal core also allowed me to set the cable in the very roundabout path that these cables follow when the A-frame is not raised. AND, the core allowed the attachment of the cables, using small pre-drilled holes in the cable eyes and a drop of superglue. I cut the ends off two Academy plastic M1A1 tow cables, using them for new tow cables that would follow the curve of the M728 turret. Looks good!

Did I mention it was CHEAP? An important consideration in this hobby!
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
That's what I like about this DG. You can learn something new every day!
leogunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hey Viper,
I think you mentioned in apost a while back that your Dad works here on base. See if he can get you a little bit of paracord from work. If you peel off the green exterior, you will find strands of white nylon cord. These strands are perfect! They are the right scale, easy to paint and I usually just glue them to the looped ends of the kit cables.
Oh and by the way ( seeing yopu are an Arrow fan) at the bookstore at the mall in Oromocto, they have a complete operators manual for the arrow, complete with test results and reference photos of the real thing. Best of all it's on sale for about 8 bucks.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions guys...and thanks leogunner about the tip on the Arrow book.....been awhile since I have been at that book store....they usually have some great books there that you can't find anywhere else.

Which reminds me.....would you be interested in joining a local model club? We have meetings usually every 2 to 3 weeks, and put on a show/competition usually every spring. We will be putting on a display at the FREX (Fredericton Exhibition) this year...in one of the buildings in hopes of drumming up new members. The club is called CAMS or Capital Area Modelers Society.

Anyway....if you would like more info, drop me a PM...and I can get you set up and exchange e-mail or whatever.....there is no cost to join or anything like that just basically a bunch of guys get together and shoot the breeze....some bring kits that they are working on or new kits that have bought....basically just a fun night away from the dull dundrum of normal life...lol

Anyway...if you are interested....drop me a PM and we can exchange e-mail addresses.
 _GOTOTOP