_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
FV 434 REME armoured fitter
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
Guys,
This is my current WIP. Maybe familiar to a few of you.

Its a British Army fitter vehicle based on the 432 series APC. The kit is resin from Accurate Armour.

Here are the progress to date pics. It shall be combined with a Centurion V in a diorama which should depict something like this -

the basic model is resin and PE parts

as usual a priming coat

The base colours are applied. the 434 in its initial painting stages. Painted in Tamiya acrylics as usual for me. The base coat is Khaki Green, black is a mixture of Matt Black mixed with Nato Black.

After the base different shades of the Khaki Green lightened with IJN Grey are used to create tones and variation to the paint scheme.

A further stage is colour modulation, some details on the hull are painted in Vallejo paints to add contrast to the model.

Initial paint chipping - for high wear areas with Citadel boltgun metal and mrythl silver. The silver is the correct colour as FV 432 series are Aluminium construction.

Overall paint filter using MiG filters to provide an overall unification of the base paints.

chipped effects

scratch built recovery rope

metalised hyraulic ram using alclad paints

UK camo not exactly exciting ! However with imagination and licence things can be livened up using British Army TAC signs in yellow and vehicle warning stripes

starting to change --

vert bright at this stage !

I applied oil colours to create paint fading and differing tones on the model. I used MiG Abteiling buff and sand colours as the first stage. I use of turps to get it all washed down so the effect is not over powering.

V difficult to see. But the the entire model is "micro chipped" using dark green and other colours. The decals are "chipped" using a scalpel blade to enhance this effect

markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 10:00 AM UTC
This is stage 2 weathering and really work to date. Feedback now would be very much appreciated.

Confined to washes and MiG weathering pigments. Quite dusty but this is toned down later by some more brushing.

some wet effects using MiG oil and grease stain and pigments

Tamiya diorama paint soil added in the area where it will accumulate and again pigments added.

thanks for looking Mark
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 10:49 AM UTC
Super job!

Your winky dink light lense is a little crooked.

Are you going to build an engine fr the Cent?

cheers
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:28 AM UTC
Cheers Rick!
dang you spotted the wonky light - I was to lazy to correct it

the Cent is out of the box except for the upgrade PE parts. As much as I would like to do a engine and more detail... I simply dont have the skill/time/aptitude
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 09:24 AM UTC
If you are using a cent in the dio you should change the extinguishers on the LAD wagon to old BCF green type. The modern red powder type only came into use long after the cent went out of use. The BCF type was taken out of use because of the CFC's and other nasties in them and replaced with dry powder type. I preferred the BCF ones myself as the dry powder gets everywhere and is a lady to clean up. One other point is that when the dry powders were first issued, they were made from green plastic with either blue instructions printed on them or red sticky panels with a blue panel on it, indicating that was dry powder.
Also I'm not too sure that winky pots were used in the Cent era.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 04:12 AM UTC
Maybe it could be based at Bovington and working on a display tank but then it probably wouldn't be that muddy. Great weathering though.

I've always wondered when the fire extinguishers were changed. Also at some point it seems more common to see the handles and hubs painted red and the fuel filler cap painted yellow but I have no idea when this started.

Paul
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
A very awesome build! Good clean work with the resin kit and a truly fantastic paint job. I love the weathering-looks very realistic!

Now I want to dust off my Cromwell 432 bulldog again
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are using a cent in the dio you should change the extinguishers on the LAD wagon to old BCF green type. The modern red powder type only came into use long after the cent went out of use. The BCF type was taken out of use because of the CFC's and other nasties in them and replaced with dry powder type. I preferred the BCF ones myself as the dry powder gets everywhere and is a lady to clean up. One other point is that when the dry powders were first issued, they were made from green plastic with either blue instructions printed on them or red sticky panels with a blue panel on it, indicating that was dry powder.
Also I'm not too sure that winky pots were used in the Cent era.

Big thanks for the comments and general approval Big thanks or that Rob . Jon has mentioned a good point. I failed to mention an important point. The Cent will be a old wreck - the Fitter is current so Paul Thuhe - sort of worked that out! Should have mentioned that point. So the fitter is post 96 - so the big red fire extinguishers and hi-viz beacon are ok. I went a bit OTT on the markings. I wanted to create a much more realistic recovery chains - but failed on that point.

As a side note - I will have this on a club table at Euro Miltaire on Saturday - so please come over and have a look and a chat !

cheers
Mark
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 05:17 AM UTC
Looking good Mark.

Don't worry too much about the wonky winky - the darn things were always getting kicked and bent.
sapper159
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe it could be based at Bovington and working on a display tank but then it probably wouldn't be that muddy. Great weathering though.

I've always wondered when the fire extinguishers were changed. Also at some point it seems more common to see the handles and hubs painted red and the fuel filler cap painted yellow but I have no idea when this started.

Paul

Paul
I'm trying to think about the changeover year, for the extinguishers, and I think it was 92-93.
The filler caps could have been painted yellow from, certainly, 86 onwards, possibly before. I'm not sure when it started because I'm not sure when the re-engine-ing from petrol to diesel started. I remember that when I was in Germany the 1st time(86-87), 'we' had a mix of the two because of a rolling program , sqn by sqn, regt by regt. By the time I was next in armour (93) all vehicles were diesel. As you are probably aware, red is the standardised colour designation for petrol and yellow is for diesel, used on fuel caps, jerricans and other fuel containers (grey is used for paraffin/kerosine and used on their jerricans).
As for painted hubs and handles, I can't remember anyone painting them red in any of my units, but have seen it done on a few other units vehicles. I do know for a fact that it was not a regulation thing as I used to have a copy of the regs for one my jobs.
Red was also used on the flaps covering the fire suppression system handles, as seen on Marks' 434.
Callsigns could also be painted in red, blue, yellow, brightish green and white (usually done in a gloss paint, as it was easiest to get through the supply system) or done in IRR green and/or black. Yellow seems to be the usual colour though.
We also, usually, didn't bother to paint the exhaust pipes, as they would get hot enough for the paint to just burn off, generally they would be a bit rusty.

Mark, a question for you. Where on a 434 is the fuel filler cap? I only ask because I can't see one on your superb model and as I was a Sapper, I never really had much to do with our LAD, so never had much to do with their 434s.
mattjack
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC
nice work thinking about doing one my self
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul

Paul
I'm trying to think about the changeover year, for the extinguishers, and I think it was 92-93.
The filler caps could have been painted yellow from, certainly, 86 onwards, possibly before. I'm not sure when it started because I'm not sure when the re-engine-ing from petrol to diesel started. I remember that when I was in Germany the 1st time(86-87), 'we' had a mix of the two because of a rolling program , sqn by sqn, regt by regt. By the time I was next in armour (93) all vehicles were diesel. As you are probably aware, red is the standardised colour designation for petrol and yellow is for diesel, used on fuel caps, jerricans and other fuel containers (grey is used for paraffin/kerosine and used on their jerricans).
As for painted hubs and handles, I can't remember anyone painting them red in any of my units, but have seen it done on a few other units vehicles. I do know for a fact that it was not a regulation thing as I used to have a copy of the regs for one my jobs.
Red was also used on the flaps covering the fire suppression system handles, as seen on Marks' 434.
Callsigns could also be painted in red, blue, yellow, brightish green and white (usually done in a gloss paint, as it was easiest to get through the supply system) or done in IRR green and/or black. Yellow seems to be the usual colour though.
We also, usually, didn't bother to paint the exhaust pipes, as they would get hot enough for the paint to just burn off, generally they would be a bit rusty.

Mark, a question for you. Where on a 434 is the fuel filler cap? I only ask because I can't see one on your superb model and as I was a Sapper, I never really had much to do with our LAD, so never had much to do with their 434s.

Jon, thanks again for the input. I think it would have been great if I had found your advise during the build. The 434 is filled up in the corner of the load bay next to HIAB. There is also a fuel vent cover that is in that area. I like the tip about the rusty exhaust - is the entire thing rusty of just closest to the silencer. May be worth painting that filler cap.
eddiem54
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Nice job Mark. I spent a few years on these in the 70's. The exhaust pipe rusted the full length, the silencer kept its paint due to the insulation. All 434's were diesel powered. Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is the canopy over the cargo bay.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon,

Thanks for all the info.

Paul
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 05:20 PM UTC
This is great stuff Mark. The only thing not mentioned that I would have changed was to replace the painted headlights with clear lenses. Painted headlights just drive me nuts, especially on a kick-arse model like this. Of course this is just a personal preference. Can't wait to see your fitter on display with the Centurion 5
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 08:46 PM UTC
It's nice to see more recovery vehicles models.
I'd love to see more from the great plastic manufacturers ! hint for Trumpeter
sapper159
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 01:07 AM UTC
.[/quote]

Jon, thanks again for the input. I think it would have been great if I had found your advise during the build. The 434 is filled up in the corner of the load bay next to HIAB. There is also a fuel vent cover that is in that area. I like the tip about the rusty exhaust - is the entire thing rusty of just closest to the silencer. May be worth painting that filler cap.[/quote]

Can see it now your point it out and to be honest I would paint it. It was painted as a visual reminder of fuel type.
And thanks to Eddie, I didn't know that 434s were already diesel, way back in the olden days And good point about the canopy.
Jeremy mentioned about the headlights. You could paint one light on each side as if they had their IR covers on, but can't remember which ones, inside set or outside set
frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
the inner head lights were the ones fitted with IR covers,
The fire extingishers were of the green with blue lable till they had to comply with brussles regulations in 2000 then changed to bright red when required exchanging ( 5 year life) or used. hope this helps with putting a time frame on the model.
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 09:38 AM UTC
Any update on your build.
I operated these vehicles in the 70`s so have an interest in them.
I built a model of my own track and would love to do another some time.
Some minor points are the position of the orange `tweeky` light, we had ours on the jib where it was safe from damage, we also had a mesh basket mounted on legs over the engine louvres with bins bolted to this, i think you have put too many markings on your model too. apart from that you have done a good job and i like it.
Apart from the mud though, if we had let our track get in such a state we would have been locked up for dereliction of duty.
Nice work

Malcolm

Mine was built some years ago so i think i will take it out and give it a revamp and tidy up.
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi Malcolm ! and thank you. Yes I was researching a lot of photos of the 434 many with the mesh basket you described. The beacon is in a bad position - I did notice a lotof them mounted on the crane jib as you described. I would like to see pics of your build. this one has just end-ex so the mud

Sorry for not updating this. It was going to be a diorama with a Centurion but that was abandoned ! so i got to this point with it

I have a stack of pictures here

http://krasnyaarme.blogspot.com

The only thing I have to add is some crew and a few tools. The only thing I really dont like are the lights - in fact I cant stand them LOL - So I want to cover them up with something ? I was thinking hessian covers or even a cam net? what would you suggest?

btw here is why the Centurion is stand alone it just would look to odd beside the fitter

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1296991729/Abandoned+Cold+War+Warrior
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC
outstanding build, I always like the RV and engineering vehicle subjects

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
Mark

Love the build and just amazed at how you guys get such fantastic detail, colour scheme and weathering in 1/35. Crackin work.

Ages ago I used to off road my Landy on an MOD area near us where there was an abandoned 432 fitter sat for years. I got to clamber about on it and in it and your model looks great. The weathering looks just right.

Wonder if it is still sat up there as not been to the site in years.

Nige

Nige
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 04:17 AM UTC
That Cent is superb. How did you do the paint job?
Top marks
I will try to borrow a digital camera and then try to figure out how to post them, i know instructions are there but i am crap with computers, but i will do my best.

You could use the Cent headlights from the AFV Club kit, they look good when fitted
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 10:42 AM UTC
way to kind Nige and Malcolm !

I would really like to see that rusty old 434 - I have a big interest in left to rot stuff

I have a link for the painting techniques on the Centurion here -

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=223782
Pilgrim22
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 04:37 AM UTC
Its been some 30 years but... The winky pot was attached to the top of the highest point on the jib when it was stowed. Also I think it was an atlas crane not hiab. I don't think your call signs are correct for the period ours were 38A The 17foot 6inch ropes are a little large in scale. Fire extinguishers were not red back then. The driver side where the call sign is would of been covered by gun planks.

_GOTOTOP