Hosted by Darren Baker
T-34 tractor. (kitbash)
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
I am a big fan of the T-34 and picked up a really cool kit of a T-34 as an late war ARV. I have read that was this was done in the field. The kit is by Military Wheels

and I think UM also produces this vehicle! The kit is pretty rough with lots and lots of flash. So with that in mind, I dug out a Dragon T-34/76 out of the stash

and decided to bash the two with a pretty satisfied and cool result! The parts married up very well. Here are a few photos before the paint went on.

(The T-34/85 is another project on the bench that I will be posting soon)

And here are the shots of the completed model. I used Tamiya J A Green acrylic as the base and did a bit of highlight paneling with a lighter Russian green from Vellejo. Mig pigments were also used! In stowage is a T-34 transmission from a resin kit produced by Kora, and a chain picked up from the local train shop!

I know i should of had more in progress shots and i will try to do that more in the future....comments welcome
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 06:59 PM UTC
Very nice conversion Andrew. Very cool vehicle and worth using the Dragon as a donor kit to achieve this model. Great weathering as well. Wouldnīt mind trying this in 1/35.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi Andrew,

I like this sort of project, a chance to put all your modelling skill into use. You have pulled this one off really well and the end result is very pleasing. Nicely finished and should look good when the dio is finished. You have to love train enthusiast shops, always something that is useful.

Excellent suff, keep up the good work.

All the best,

Paul
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 12:05 PM UTC
I agree, great build and great use of the Dragon T-34 kit and very interesting vehicle. Not something you see much in any scale
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
You've done a very nice job on this unusual and unique vehicle. Can't wait to see more of your work. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jan
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
hi andrew
great looking model i was just looking at references of this on google and thinking of building this myself but youve beaten me to the mark
love it though how youve used dragon kit aswell and scratchbuilding looks great
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments...
to Frank [quote]Very nice conversion Andrew. Very cool vehicle and worth using the Dragon as a donor kit to achieve this model. Great weathering as well. Wouldnīt mind trying this in 1/35.[quote] since you mentioned it i thought I'd show the 1/35 version I did a few years ago on a Tamiya based T-34.

It's definitely an unusual but great looking vehicle! I had a lot of fun building this and it leads to other ideas.... Now that Dragon's base kits are on the market, the upgunned T-34s of the Middle East conflicts can be neatly modeled! Or doing a sharp renditions of a Su 76i, or Bergepanzer III, from Military Wheels using Revell's panzer III as a base kit .... Hmmmmm !

Well.. those ideas are for down the road as this tractor is gonna be part of the big project I'm working on now, a post war Czech(?) repair yard... I have old old project reopened for remodeling https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/75790 as well as another two other T-34 based projects that I guess i will post as seperate builds until they are tied to the base!
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi Andrew

Its always nice to see an armoured modelling subject that doesnt have a big gun barrel on it !

You have done a great job with this. I've wrestled with the MW T-34 chassis (on their T-34 Flak) and it is a lot of work to get it looking good, your choice of a Dragon chassis seems a good idea.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff

cheers
Neil

drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andrew

Its always nice to see an armoured modelling subject that doesnt have a big gun barrel on it !

You have done a great job with this. I've wrestled with the MW T-34 chassis (on their T-34 Flak) and it is a lot of work to get it looking good, your choice of a Dragon chassis seems a good idea.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff

cheers
Neil

Ya Neil, those lower chassis from Military Wheels or ACE are pretty brutal.
I was tired of doing clean up that proper molding should of taken care of. I just wanted a crisp base to start and Dragon's T-34's are ACES!
ACE and MW do put out a lot of interesting subjects, which is a plus, but I need focus in this scale or it just looks like something cold stamped out of a hotwheels package! That's what Dragon, Trumpeter, and Revell chassis are for!
drew
trajan98
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 01:35 AM UTC
Great looking model and an excellent paint job. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 08:24 PM UTC
Andrew,

I have not yet had the opportunity to welcome you here. WELCOME

You've done a wonderful job of kit-bashing and the end result looks terrific. This is the second time that I've seen this vehicle ever and both are here on the Braille Scale forum. Thanks for sharing your work here and hoping to see more.

-Eddy
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys! I hope two have two more projects up soon!
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 04:04 PM UTC
I officially finished this for a show (Pasadena Valleycon) and wanted to show how the final ideas came out....

I included a great standing figure from Mig's Cold war tank crew

and I copied the tanker head and made the kneeling figure first out of wax, and then made a resin copy to paint up.
Added some stowage including an Eduard PE fuel drum, a pair of ACE jacks, a couple of tow bars, etc.

I also picked up some MV lens that dropped in with just a little effort. The base was a small wood oval from Michael's covered in Magicsculpt airbrushed in grimy black then desert tan and then dusted with Mig pigments and train shop shrubbery.

Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Drew

another great work, the end result looks excellent

I've sometimes thought of buying the MW recovery T-34.IF it comes with the same T-34 as comes with the MW T-34 flakpanzer it was a good move to use Dragon parts..

(and neat work with casting your own crew member too)

cheers
Neil
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 07:13 PM UTC

Absolutely love it!

I think I have the UM kit in my stash or had considered purchasing it at one stage.

You build provides great inspiration!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
Very interesting subject and nicely done. Your pictures are also quite good and show it off well.

regards,
AJ
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Another great work. Excellent transformation.

Regards. Pedro.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 08:38 AM UTC
Andrew,

Been so busy lately (to many things going on these days) almost missed this vehicle being placed on a base. I must say it looks excellent with those figures to help give it action and scale. Again a SUPER job!

-Eddy
 _GOTOTOP