_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club Centurion 105mm 5/2, 6
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 11:31 AM UTC
I recently bought this and intend to make it up as a Mk6 serving in BAOR around 1960. I see that among the parts listed as 'not used' are the bits for the 100gallon auxiliary fuel tank and thought about fitting that to make a Mk6 LR.
However, I'm unsure if we Brits actually ever used it. Does anyone know?
And if we did, has anyone got the relevant part of the instructions (possibly from AFV Clubs 35100, Aussie Cent Mk5 kit) they could scan and send me please?

Cheers,
Ken
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
look here
Mark131
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:17 AM UTC
I believe that the LR armoured fuel taks came out c1957. So your time frame is OK. I have not found any photos of them in British service. I am fairly sure the British used them, but you will need to find photos for VRN and other markings.

You could always go a step further, as I did, and do a MK11 from the kit and the Canadians had them with the LR in Germany.

Mark
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:45 PM UTC
Thomas, that's great - thanks.

Mark, thank you too. I managed to find a Pathe clip of the Queen reviewing the RTR in Germany that shows the LR tanks on the back of all the earlier Cents rolling by in review. Interestingly, there was a mix of old Mk5 based and newer Mk7 based Cents on parade in the same regiment - even in the same troops.
 _GOTOTOP