Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi

heres another work in progress

On the box Dragon call this a "Sd Kfz 181 Panzerkampfwagen VI (P)"

Its also known as VK4501

It was Porsche's answer for the Tiger I, which did not go into production, but one was completed and went into action with Panzerjager Abteilung 653 in Russia in 1944.

Photos of the real thing in below link (you may need to copy and paste the link into another web browser)

http://henk.fox3000.com/maus.htm

So far I have just assembled the basic chassis and turret, all the small detail is yet to be added. The worst thing about this kit is that the photos of it show it actually had a coat of zimmerit, but the kit comes without zimmerit moulding, and with tools and tow ropes moulded onto the sides.

I've done a homemade zimmerit job on it, first of all cutting and sanding the moulded on tools and tow ropes away.

I've also got to put some anti-skid tread on the mudguards, as Dragon have also not moulded the checked pattern on the guards

It looks a bit rough in the progress shots below, but once its fully assembled, with all the detail, it should start to look better. I will give it a three colour paint scheme as appears to be what this unit used, once all the detail is one.

cheers
Neil

hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 09:05 AM UTC
Great start - The Zimmerit looks great, especially for such a small scale. I look forward to seeing this one completed.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 08:34 PM UTC
Neil,

This is my favorite ugly tank! Your doing a super job on this kit already, that zimmerit looks really good. Hope you post more in progress photos as you go along on this build.

-Eddy
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hello

Kirk and Eddy thanks for your comments.

Kirk, I tried to keep the zimmerit somewhat understated, as photos of this tank show it had a light and neat coating of zimmerit.

Eddy, I also agree that this is one of the most fascinatingly ugly tanks of its era. Its the only reason I bought it, and I also like the rare one of a kind vehicles, like this one.

I have now got it about ready to paint. The kits comes without the anti slip tread on the mudguard, so I used the checkered gold foil from a packet of "Benson and Hedges" cigarettes. This was a tip from Ilian Filipov. I like 'Do It Yourself' solutions where possible, no paying for and waiting for after market bits to arrive.

The mudguards are loosely fixed, I wont attach them till I have painted the lower hull, wheels and tracks. Same with the turret bustle, I'll paint the turret, then affix the spare track links, then attach the bustle.

I'll also need to make some new tow cables for the sides and check my spares box for some tools.

I also borrowed the Cupola from a Revell Tiger I, as its closer to the shape seen in the photo, than the one that comes in the kit.

progress shots below,

cheers
Neil

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 06:04 PM UTC
Nice job on the Zimm, you really captured the look of it in scale. Great use of detailing parts as well, no easy task in braille
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 03:12 AM UTC
What a strange and ugly beast. Looks to be coming along really well. I love all your little details and any posts that shows how to add details with common items (the foil for the fenders). Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
AJ
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi all

thanks Jeremy and AJ for the comments.

adding the foil to the mudguards is really easy. I cut a piece that is a bit longer and wider than the guard, (choosing part of the foil that is not wrinkled)

then lightly spread some white PVA wood glue on the guard. (known as Elmers in the US, Selleys in Aus). Then just press the foil on. I use a fresh hobby blade to cut around the mudguard hinges, and to trim it to size.

by using this type of glue, its easy to move the foil around a bit, as it doesnt dry instantly, and if you are not happy, you can remove the foil and glue with water, and try again.

I dont have any 'in progress' shots of this but can take some next time I need to add foil to guards.

Anyway here are some in shots of the initial paint job. Still needs some washes, and the mudguards are still not affixed. I'll get the paintwork finished then add the cables and tools to the sides, decals, and paint some crew.

cheers
Neil

madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 11:25 PM UTC
Wonderfull work on this Tiger,Neil,specially on zimm.
I know is too late now,but for your future builds[with Porsche suspension]be carefull on the cogwheels, you made a mistake.I hope no offence...

Cheers,
Dani
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hi Dani

thanks for the tip off - it came just in time ! I'm not offended, just glad that someone spotted it

you know I was so busy with the other minor details of which way the track pieces went, and the roadwheel layout that I made that big mistake, dont know how I didnt see it sooner.

luckily the model doesnt have the mudguards fastened yet, so I was able to cut out the old sprockets and replace them !

I had an unbuilt Ferdinand which I borrowed new sprockets from, which I will now have to build as a 'panzer wreck', which will be easy as lots of pictures of wrecked Ferdinands to be found

pics of repair job are below

cheers
Neil

madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi Neil!
Good job...this is what i called a fast repair.I built myself this kit few years ago,but whithout all the PE that you have added-i have big problems with my patience.

Keep up the good work!
Dani
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 03:25 PM UTC
Hi Dani

thanks as you say it can take a lot of patience to put some of these kits together, and that is why I had to fix the sprockets, I couldn't let that spoil it.

I have worked a bit more on the paint job, and done a wash, and sealed it with a coat of flat clear.

Still needs another wash or two, and maybe some dry brushing to dull down the decals, and need to fix the mudguards, the turret bustle, spare tracks, jack, towing cables, and pioneer tools, and need to work on the finish of the tracks and a bit of dirt/dust on the lower surfaces

here is a couple of in progress shots

cheers
Neil

madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:32 PM UTC
Good work Neil!
I wish to have your patience...i made two mistakes on my model[i put gun port,instead the escape hatch,and i put wrong the cog wheels]...

...but i d'ont have enough patience for correct him.

Keep up the good work!
Dani
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hi

this one is about finished

I scraped off the crosses on the turret as I had them in the wrong position (when compared to photos of the real one) and put new crosses on.

This kit came with tow cables and tools moulded on the sides and looked awful, I had to cut and sand them off to do the zimmerit, but would have cut them off anyway, they looked very unrealistic

I made tow cables from twisted electrical wire, and the hangers were made from cut up brass etch sprue (I never throw away the metal leftovers from etch, its always useful for something else)

the tools were from the spares box, the axe was converted from a shovel and again brass etch was used to make the hangers for the tools

I need to add radio aerials & crew members, will add these when I put this on a small base

pics are below

cheers
Neil

madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Verry good work,Neil!
Now she needs few crew figures ,and,i think, more dry-brush with metallic color on the wheels and on the tracks.
 _GOTOTOP